Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cheapest place to buy S2 for the UK

I really want a S2 but live in the UK. Still only a few shops have the S2 in the UK. Does anyone know the best/cheapest place to buy that ships to the UK/in the UK.

NOt many online US sites seem to ship to the UK. am I wrong?
    So including eBay, what would anyone reckon the best price would be and where?

Thanks for your help!

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samegapiz
    I really want a S2 but live in the UK. Still only a few shops have the S2 in the UK. Does anyone know the best/cheapest place to buy that ships to the UK/in the UK.

NOt many online US sites seem to ship to the UK. am I wrong?
    So including eBay, what would anyone reckon the best price would be and where?

Thanks for your help!
    If you buy from the US, you'll get nailed by the scurrilous UK Customs and Excise. I asked about buying from the US a few years ago and it worked out at something like doubling the price by the time tax is paid. I'd say buy from 7dayshop.com.

Thanks for the advice Rhys. I can't find the S2 on 7dayshop though, although it does look a good website.

I like the look of www.digital-cameras.com THe buy now pay later deal seems very tempting, adn the postage and customer service look good. Would you say this was a good place to buy?

Thanks for your help

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I don't like the way the company is hiding behind an 0870 phone number. The registration record for the website is held by eNom (never heard of them).

The fax number 01483 447744 does give the area code. Isn't it amazing that everybody forgets to give an 0870 fax number? The number turns out to be a Guildford number as the website declares. Yell.com has the entry "The Digital Camera Co.Ltd Unit 10, The Pines Trading Estate, Broad St, Guildford, Surrey GU3 3BH Tel: 0870 7778550". The phone number's different but the address is the same. Heaven alone knows how many businesses are sited in Unit 10.

The samspade record states:
    Server Used: [ whois.enom.com ]

http://www.digital-cameras.com/ = [ 83.138.187.244 ]

Registration Service Provided By: Desk Search

Visit: www.desksearch.com
    Domain name: digital-cameras.com
    Registrant Contact:
    The Digital Camera Company Ltd
    The Digital Camera Company Ltd info@digital-cameras.com

Fax: 44.01483564746
    Unit 10 The Pines Business Park Broad Street
    Guildford
    SURREY GU3 3BH
    GB
    Administrative Contact:
    Summit Media
    Hedley Aylott deans@summitmedia.co.uk

Fax: 44.1430425808
    Wolds Media Centre
    Everthorpe
    Brough HU15 2JZ
    GB
    Billing Contact:
    Summit Media

Wolds Media Centre
    Everthorpe
    Brough HU15 2JZ
    GB
    Technical Contact:
    Summit Media

Wolds Media Centre
    Everthorpe
    Brough HU15 2JZ
    GB
    Name Servers:
    ns.rackspace.com
    ns2.rackspace.com
    Creation date: 04 Mar 1996 00: 00: 00
    Expiration date: 05 Mar 2006 00: 00: 00
    On the whole they look as though they are on the level. Having said that, Amazon has a reputation for being straight and honest but in my experience and my dealings with them have proven themselves to be otherwise.

My best advice is either drop web "bargains" like a hot potato and buy in a shop that you know will still be there tomorrow or to order using a UK credit card as you're protected by the Consumer Credit Act.

Try this place:

http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/

They have the S2. It is a shop in the town where I live, very good place with a wide range of camera/accessories etc. I have purchased from them before and they provide an excellent service. Plus, they give a free extended 2 year warranty on purchases. From my experience, the prices are pretty competitive too.

Regards

James

Amazon.co.uk

Have you considered Amazon.co.uk? Their S2 listing is a little hard to find, but here it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009IY4RI

(That's a straightforward link, not an affiliate code.)

Samegapiz,

It's unbelievably frustrating to see such low prices available to the US market and not being able to avail of them yourself. I had to shop around online recently as I was looking for a Panasonic FZ20 which for some reason was very difficult to find in the shops here. I eventually bought it from Pixmania which is located in Paris but has a site for each EU country so everything will be quoted in stg. For me at least they were definitely the cheapest around and had it delivered to me within 48 hours. They're quite well known so have no worries about using a Cr. card. Also, if you you quote them a promotional code (available on any of their ads in the digital photo magazines), then you'll also get 10 off the price quoted on their website. If you like they'll arrange for payment over 12 months as well. The only drawback with Pixmania though is that you more than likely won't get an English language manual but they will give you a link to a PDF so that you can print it off yourself - personally it didn't bother me but some people find it very aggravating.

If 7dayshop.com (based in Guernsey) do happen to stock your camera, then I'd say they'll have a comparable price. Again, no need to worry about Credit card security.
    Warehouse express.com (based in Norwich) are supposed to be reasonable as well but I've no personal experience of dealing with them.

Anyway, hope I've been of some help.