Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Need some info on Canon macro lenses

I want to know if there is a Canon (or another brand quality lens that suits the 350D) macro zoom lens. Something below 1000 bucks. And I want to know what the closest focusing distance on that type of lens is.

And if not, what would be a good macro lens, that could get you close and personal to the subject you're photographing.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ibarbar; 06-16-2005 at 01:20 AM.
    Using Canon Powershot A80

My Photo gallery on DC Resource

ibarbar

So far I've found this:

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS for around 220 $
    but the problem is it can't focus under 1m at macro

and this

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro DF Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS for around 439 $ (higher price, better quality ?)
    but it's only 70 mm at telephoto and it's ok with focusing at 40 cm at macro

and also this

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-135mm f/3.8-5.6 Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS for 160 $
    this seems quite good, with 135 mm at telephoto and 25 cm focusing at macro, but it seems to be quite cheap. Why ?

and this

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS for around 270 $
    which also seems quite ok, with 50 cm focusing and aspherical lens and so on.

and finally this

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 Compact Hyper Zoom Aspherical Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS for around 200 $
    which has only 5 cm (1.6 inches) focusing distance !

Now, DO these lenses WORK with the 350D or the 20D ? Are they too cheap ? Which would you recommend ? Do you know any other that be better ?

(All prices and specs taken from www.bhphotovideo.com)

Does Canon have any lens similar to these ? (more expensive or not)

Thank you again.
    Last edited by ibarbar; 06-16-2005 at 01:19 AM.

ibarbar

There would also be the possibility to get the Sigma 72mm Close-up Lens for 28-200mm Lens. Would that get me good macro on a 28-200 Sigma lens like the Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 Compact Hyper Zoom Aspherical Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS ?

Or would it better to get a Canon 28-200 lens and the Sigma close-up lens (which is a lot cheaper than the Canon ones) ?

Hope somebody will answer.
    Thanks.

ibarbar