Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question First Digital Camera for vacation photos.. What is recommended..

I`m looking for a digital camera that takes good photos. I plan on using it on vacation and woud be taking a lot of landscape type photos using the zoom. I`ve read on several forums that a lot of cameras suffer from hand shake(blurry photos) especially when using the zoom. Is there any certain cameras that might be better than others in this area. I don`t mind paying a few dollars more for better picture quality.
    Thanks, A.J.

Budget

*Up to 400$

Size

* I`d like it to be small enough to put in my pocket .

Features

Megapixels .. I don`t think I`d need over 5 (usually only print 4x6 or 5x7
    Zoom.... 3 optical

* Image quality is very important (Rate a 10)

* Large lcd screen (at least 2'')

Do you care for manual controls? No . I`d like it to be as automatic as possible.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Vacation / Holidays /General usage

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Mostly outdoor but some general indoor holiday stuff ie Xmas etc.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    No

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    No

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Sony p200,Fuji f10,Panasonic dmc fx7,Casio ex-z55 ( just looking,don`t know if they take clear photos)

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

A few things to consider...

Digicam images can be quite good, but no pocketable digicam will give you "10" rated pictures. Certainly nothing under $400 is going to give you ten's either. On the other hand, most digicams in your price range will provide 5x7's of an image quality that will easily satisfy most people.

Landscape photos do not typically use zoom. In fact, you would use the opposite, IOW a wide-angle lens.

If you do use a high-zoom camera, then you might encounter lower shutter speeds if the ambient light levels are low, and would therefore get blurry pics if you are handholding. To remedy this, you can either get a camera that can attain higher shutter speeds, use a tripod for the longer shutter speeds, or use a camera equiped with image stabilization (IS), which will allow you to shoot handheld at lower shutter speeds. If you decide that you don't need a high zoom cam, then you most likely won't need IS.

If you have certain models in mind and don't know if they take clear photos, you can look at the sample photos in the reviews and decide for yourself.

Since you state you will be taking lots of landscape photos, you might consider the digicams that have zoom lenses that start at a wide-angle setting. Look at the reviews for the Fuji E500/510, Canon S60-70, Nikon 5400.

PhilR.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilR.
    A few things to consider...

Digicam images can be quite good, but no pocketable digicam will give you "10" rated pictures. Certainly nothing under $400 is going to give you ten's either. On the other hand, most digicams in your price range will provide 5x7's of an image quality that will easily satisfy most people.

Landscape photos do not typically use zoom. In fact, you would use the opposite, IOW a wide-angle lens.

If you do use a high-zoom camera, then you might encounter lower shutter speeds if the ambient light levels are low, and would therefore get blurry pics if you are handholding. To remedy this, you can either get a camera that can attain higher shutter speeds, use a tripod for the longer shutter speeds, or use a camera equiped with image stabilization (IS), which will allow you to shoot handheld at lower shutter speeds. If you decide that you don't need a high zoom cam, then you most likely won't need IS.

If you have certain models in mind and don't know if they take clear photos, you can look at the sample photos in the reviews and decide for yourself.

Since you state you will be taking lots of landscape photos, you might consider the digicams that have zoom lenses that start at a wide-angle setting. Look at the reviews for the Fuji E500/510, Canon S60-70, Nikon 5400.

PhilR.

Thanks PhilR,

Ya I do want a pocketable camera.I`m not sure what a 10 rated picture quality is to you.. For me it`s just has to be clear.. not blurry, no fringing..
    The largest photo I would be getting is 5x7, and most if not all would be 4x6.

I use zoom on most all landscape photos.. I usually zoom in on a particular area of interest. I don`t know what you would call high zoom.. I am used to about 3x optical.. Would that also mean blurry photos? I never use a tripod. I`m a typical tourist type and want to simply point and shoot.

I`ve looked at the sample photos from several cameras I liked.. The photos looked pretty good to me,but then when I start reading the reviews and especially user reviews on the forums I find out about blurry photos, fringing,softness in corners etc. Maybe I`m expecting too much from a digital camera,I could give up some fancy features,but I just figured from the amount you pay at least you shoud get clear pics..

I`ll look at the model;s you mention. Are they also very pocketable and straight forward point and shoot?

Thanks again for the reply,
    A.J.