Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Image of Nikon D50!!!

Here is an image (Artist’s impression) of the upcoming Nikon D50. This picture was made using the image provided in the manual of D50 so, this is what the real thing will look like.

Looks nice to me. Where'd you get this insider pic?

i wonder where the D50 is going to fit in price wise.. 1K for the kit lens to match the XT? maybe even undercut it?

whatcha think?

It's gotta be several hundred dollar cheaper, at least $200 cheaper than the current D70 to justify its existence, unless it's so different that it can be a feasible move by Nikon. I'm thinking that it will be priced similar to or a tiny bit above what the original Rebel is priced at right now ($600/$700)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    It's gotta be several hundred dollar cheaper, at least $200 cheaper than the current D70 to justify its existence, unless it's so different that it can be a feasible move by Nikon. I'm thinking that it will be priced similar to or a tiny bit above what the original Rebel is priced at right now ($600/$700)
    I agree with you Rex914 the price of the D50 should be similar to the original DRebel. As far as I know the D50 is the light version of the D70, which uses SD-Cards. Also the making of the D50 makes sense only if the Nikon launches it as a competitor to the original DRebel which Canon has not decommissioned.

I think the D50 is aimed at those persons who are upgrading from digital point and shoots, and not from film SLRs.

My guess is D50 body (w/o the lens) should cost under US$700/-.

Its going to have a 6.1Mp sensor - and should look black & silver (which in my opinion is disgusting).

from previous post elsewhere

I posted the following text in another thread here and I just came across this conversation and I thought it may be a good idea to post this hear to, "you know, for the kids!":
    I, too, am a little hesitant in saying that I have decided, once and for all, that I am definitely purchasing [insert brand and model]. I am seriously considering the [&%&%Sensored for Nikon crowd&%#%^$ -LOL] but, like you, with the resent announcement from Nikon about the D50 and D70s I am holding my tongue. Primarily because I am interested in seeing how canon responds. OBiJuan, another DCResource forum contributor informed me that the both of these cameras are going to be using the 6MP [CCD, i assume] sensor. I was curious to learn this because if they were going to use 8MP sensors I think Canon would be forced to adjust their prices. Not saying that the XTs would not sell if they remained near 1,000, just thinking about the price drop of the 300D when the D70 was introduced; the marketing ploys used to increase sales.

I ask the next question in the hopes George may be able to shed some light on the topic, but, if anyone else can I would greatly appreciate it. I single George out because He enjoys his D70 and I think he would enjoy helping me ponder the following question. If the D50 and the D70s are coming out, IMO the D50 may be attemping to grab market share directly from the high end fixed lense prosumer digital cameras and to be a more "afforable entrant" into the "amateur DSLR" market that I keep reading about and compete with the 300D. Naturally then, that would leave the D70s to replace the D70 and compete directly against the Canon 350D. My question is this, while upgrading the sensor to an 8MP sensor is arbitrary at best and Nikons decision not to proves they too feel this way, then what could possibly be offered in this camera [D70s] that you can't find on the D70??? Improved speed performance along the lines of the D2hs? Can someone share their opinions on this matter?

----Nikon enthusiasts. I am a new comer to the forums here at DCresource, I joined for the following reasons, superb forum conduct, the wonderfully efficient sharing of ideas and opinions here, and the personalities found herein. I loved reading the post here! I am researching a DSLR -- primarily in the amateur DSLR market, the D70 and XT to be more exact... and maybe now the D50 or D70s. As I save my money for one I am researching. I am weighing the pros and cons of each camera, not having a specialty or a photography background I am trying to anticipate my most import features. Currently I own a Canon A95 P&S 5 MP, I have had it for 3 months, I stumbled on a love for photography I didn't know I had with this camera however, I already feel very limited by its fixed focal lenght and am currently wanting to upgrage to a DSLR. I think I would enjoy the speed of the XT [D70 is right there too], so no help there. as for MP, arbitrary for the most part, I understand, I do however, crop alot, do to my current limit of focal lenght I tend to stay put more because the old foot zoom gets tired, plus its not nearly as quick and smooth as it once was.. LOL .. warranty is no good either. However, I crop alot so I do think the +2MP difference will make the crop that much better, sounds like a crutch maybe, but I'd feel comfortable knowing that I can crop and not worry about loss of quality. But, yes we still do not have a driving factor in the decision. hmmmm.. Everyone is up to speed with me now! I know I will enjoy the ISO quality the Canon offers. so thats one tick for canon... Nikon owners come off more professional to me, so one tick for nikon.. haha.. Nah.. it just seems like both cameras would be a wonderful tool no matter which way I end up going... Thank you guys and gals!

Quote Originally Posted by aparmley
    I ask the next question in the hopes George may be able to shed some light on the topic, but, if anyone else can I would greatly appreciate it. I single George out because He enjoys his D70 and I think he would enjoy helping me ponder the following question. If the D50 and the D70s are coming out, IMO the D50 may be attemping to grab market share directly from the high end fixed lense prosumer digital cameras and to be a more "afforable entrant" into the "amateur DSLR" market that I keep reading about and compete with the 300D. Naturally then, that would leave the D70s to replace the D70 and compete directly against the Canon 350D. My question is this, while upgrading the sensor to an 8MP sensor is arbitrary at best and Nikons decision not to proves they too feel this way, then what could possibly be offered in this camera [D70s] that you can't find on the D70??? Improved speed performance along the lines of the D2hs? Can someone share their opinions on this matter?
    The D70s is an update to the D70 and not an upgrade. The major change that I know of in D70s from D70 is the addition of cable release and I think the shutter speed has come down to 1/4000 from 1/8000 (a downgrade according to me). It is Nikons habit of adding a few features to its cameras and putting ‘s’ to its name. Both D50 and D70s use the same sensor as the D70 and as far as the sensor is concerned I will say Canon Rules (No offence to any other brand).

Singh-

I agree with you completely. The Nikon D-50 will truly be a downgrade, not an upgrade from the Nikon D-70. There seems to be some confusion on that issue. Will it work, who knows.

However, one issue has occurred to me. If Nikon drops too much, they are virtually at the Nikon 8800 level. There could be confusion and a challenge to separate the facts as to which digital camera really does have the better quality.

Sometimes the difference get too close/small and there is customer confusion.

Sarah Joyce

Yes I do think the D50 will be a downgrade to the D70