Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Exclamation Photosharing Update

I followed the advice of many people & joined a photo sharing site for easy pic posting here & on other sites. First I joined Photobucket & uploaded a pic, used cut & paste to move the "code" to the "manage attachments", click upload & I always get the same "invalid file" message.
    First of all, yes, my pix are jpeg. I've tried over a dozen times, on two different forums, I've tried all codes offered, I emailed Photobucket & read their forum (seems lots of people have problems posting pix) I tried a different pic. Same problem.
    Then, I joined Imageshack & re-lived the same frustrating scenario again. Does anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions?
    I have posted pix here before, by using a convuluted method of emailing to myself, so they're downsized, then saving,etc. but it's time-consuming & doesn't downsize enough for other forums.

I've used imageshack since it free but you have to pay attention to the options available for posting the image to Forums. Just cut and paste the url image address for posting to a thread. It's best to resize the image first keeping the aspect ratio to preserve image quality. I usually use 800x600 or smaller for posting in Forums.

Question Invalid or not?

After starting this thread, I went back to photobucket & chose the preferred code for forums, tried again, same result, but I wrote down the code this time. I hope this might shed some light on why my files are "invalid".
    Its,
    That's exactly how it appears in the manage attachments window when they tell me it's an "invalid file type".
    Can anyone tell me why this file is "invalid"?

Smile Thanks,but...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog
    I've used imageshack since it free but you have to pay attention to the options available for posting the image to Forums. Just cut and paste the url image address for posting to a thread. It's best to resize the image first keeping the aspect ratio to preserve image quality. I usually use 800x600 or smaller for posting in Forums.
    Thank you for your reply. I've done what you said, except resize, because I thought that was the purpose of using the photosharing sites, is that they resize,etc. & make the pic. "forum friendly".
    I just attempted to post the exact file code in an attempt to give some clues to my problem, but instead of the code, a sm. white box w/red "X" appeared!(?) I tried clicking on it, but it doesn't bring up the pic. I'm totally stumped,frustrated & about to give up! Thanks, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Digideb
    Thank you for your reply. I've done what you said, except resize, because I thought that was the purpose of using the photosharing sites, is that they resize,etc. & make the pic. "forum friendly".
    I just attempted to post the exact file code in an attempt to give some clues to my problem, but instead of the code, a sm. white box w/red "X" appeared!(?) I tried clicking on it, but it doesn't bring up the pic. I'm totally stumped,frustrated & about to give up! Thanks, anyway.
    Go back to the other thread and read my post (with the squirel attached). upload from your computer not the hosting site. If that doesn't work let me know.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Smile Thanks,again!

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Go back to the other thread and read my post (with the squirel attached). upload from your computer not the hosting site. If that doesn't work let me know.
    George, I just replied to your post before I saw this post. As I mentioned in that post, that's how I 1st started posting pix (from My Pictures files directly) but file size problems have forced me to try other options. I think my posts on these 2 threads describe my various attempts & failures, etc.
    I'm still hoping someone has an answer. So far it's been an unsolved mystery for almost a week. I've emailed the Photo sharing sites & asked more experienced people (still waiting for a couple of replies) yet no one can figure it out. Thanks for your input.

George, I just replied to your post before I saw this post. As I mentioned in that post, that's how I 1st started posting pix (from My Pictures files directly) but file size problems have forced me to try other options. I think my posts on these 2 threads describe my various attempts & failures, etc.
    I'm still hoping someone has an answer. So far it's been an unsolved mystery for almost a week. I've emailed the Photo sharing sites & asked more experienced people (still waiting for a couple of replies) yet no one can figure it out. Thanks for your input.
    Did you try to cut-and-past the URL (address line) from your photo sharing site? That way people can go to your photos and you don't have to reduce the size.

How do you do this?

1. Go to to your photo sharing site (mine is smugmug.com) using a new explorer (or whatever) window.

2. Find the picture or group of pictures you want to show.

3. Copy the site address (in the address window at the top of the explorer window) by highlighting it and using control C.

4. Return to your post here at the DCRP and paste the site address in your message (Control V).

Now everyone can look at your pictures like this:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044

I actually prefer this method as I don't have to resize my pictures.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 03-16-2005 at 12:56 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Question Yes, did that...

I tried Cut & paste, Copy & paste & when I tried to add the pic code in a previous post here, it came up as a white box w/ red X. Do you see it on the earlier post?
    I tried to see if it would open but it doesn't seem to. That wouldn't help me on the other BB where I need to post pix that are instantly viewable. Other people seem to post pix over there. Well, at least I can still post pix here with my own special method, as you can see by my latest thread, "Coastal Curves".

After starting this thread, I went back to photobucket & chose the preferred code for forums, tried again, same result, but I wrote down the code this time. I hope this might shed some light on why my files are "invalid".
    Its,
    That's exactly how it appears in the manage attachments window when they tell me it's an "invalid file type".
    Can anyone tell me why this file is "invalid"?
    I just pasted the url ( http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/digideb/S.jpg )into my browser and it just took me to the PhotoBucket web site.

Try this: When you are viewing your photo, right click on it and choose "Properties". Highlite and copy the url that is displayed in the dialog box. That should be the proper url.

Steve

PS. I just looked at the url of the little red X in your post and the dimentions were 50x30 or something like that, so it looks like you were trying to link to the thumbnail and not the actual photo.
    Last edited by behr655; 03-16-2005 at 03:50 PM.