Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

New vacation = new gear?

So, I have a personal tradition of adding to my gear for each vacation. I am certain this is not just something only I do. I have begun to reach a point of not needing or wanting much for the kit lately. I am considering upgrading my wife's camera from a P&S to a new Pen. She always complains about AF performance and the like. If I add the 4/3rds adapter it would be a good backup body. The E-PM1 2 lens kit is pretty tempting. But I have recently started to eye gimbal heads. That damn Bigma and even the 50-200+EC-2 are getting restless. Problem is a good gimbal head is about as much as the Pen and probably weighs more. I could always rent the head for the trip.

The trip is a return to Alaska to see the watery southeast; Juneau, Sitka and Glacier Bay. We will be on the water for week in Glacier Bay. Not a cruise ship, but a 6 passenger 70 foot boat with daily kayaking and hiking. Not sure if the gimbal and tripod will be much use there. I am thinking that my wife might get some mileage out of a good Pen and sensor with decent ISO and AF performance over her Lumix travel zoom.

Raven, you are the current Pen owner of record here what do you think?

Yup, that's the model I have too.
    Pen.... well it does have a sensor like your E-5, a big step up from a 10MP Olympus or a P&S.
    The focusing is fast, though it has not yet developed a telepathic interface.
    It focuses on eyes which is a big plus, but is always confused by glasses and other appurtenances.
    It is not fractionally as durable as my E-410, I estimate.
    The screen is too hard to see in the sun.
    Even though it is far more customizable than Olympus E-400, 500, and probably 600 cameras, it is not as user friendly to access those features.

Given the difficulty seeing the LCD screen and the slowness of adapted glass (I haven't tried yet personally), I am not sure it could be a back-up body for your existing lenses. As a small high quality non-threatening camera with select micro 4/3 primes and possibly one or two zooms it is good. However, if you are only going to be using the kit lenses there are lots of other options out there that are just as good and possibly better. How much telephoto do you need on this trip? There is that one new large sensor Sony which doesn't change lenses, if it comes out in time. Maybe get both? A Bigma does not sound fun to hold.

Well, I decided that my wife 'needed' a new E-PM1 2 lens kit more than I needed a gimbal head for our next trip. Besides the lens rebate runs out tomorrow. I hope that I like the white body/silver lens combo. I also sort of hope that it is not the start of my long slide into more gear and no optical view finder...