I have a Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera. It is just going on 3 years old. It has worked great up to this October.

I am able to turn the camera on and take a couple pictures, then I get the message that there is no battery (batteries were fresh). The last time this happened, the shutter was stuck in the open position and I had to empty the battery case to reset the shutter (turning it on/off didn't work).

I brought it into the shop, and when they were playing with it, they got the shutter stuck in the rapid fire mode, again having to empty the battery case to reset the shutter. They also played with different battery types, and got the same results.

I paid $30 for them to open it up and look for anything blatantly wrong with the electronics, and they didn't find anything. I can send it to the Pentax factory for $275 for repair (more than half of what I paid), or retire it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong or what I might do?

Is it typical for Pentax to crap out after a couple years? I have 3 Pentax lens, so I feel locked into Pentax, but this has left me a bit bitter.