Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Do I need a class 4 or 10 SD?

Want to take the DSC-HX9V on vacation. Will use it mostly for pics, but will probably take "some" video. Any suggestions on a SD card to use? (had bad experience with mem stick) do i need a "class 10" or will a class 4 do? Any help will be appreciated!

If you camera takes HD video (1080 resolution) you will need a class 6 or greater card to ensure stutter free recording. If you are only taking pictures one at a time it doesn't really matter what class the card is.

is there a big difference in class 6 vs. 10? also - do i need sdhc or does the "high capacity" mean a 6 or 10? (not sure if that makes sense...)

Quote Originally Posted by porthos7 View Post
    is there a big difference in class 6 vs. 10? also - do i need sdhc or does the "high capacity" mean a 6 or 10? (not sure if that makes sense...)
    SD = 0 to 2GB
    SDHC = 2GB to 32GB
    SDXC = 32GB to 2TB

Cards are backwards compatible (you can put a SD card into a slot designed for SDHC) but not forwards (a SDHC card will not physically fit into a slot designed for SD). You camera will have a SDHC compatible slot so you can use either SD or SDHC cards.

The speed class is how fast the card will transfer data. For still shots as I said earlier it makes no real difference but if you are using burst mode or video it does. Class 4 will record HD video but most manufacturers recommend class 6 for more consistent performance. Class 10 will allow video and stills to be recorded simultaneously.

These are your memories. If you want to skimp a few dollars and buy a class 4 card instead of class 6 go ahead. I wouldn't.
    Last edited by K1W1; 09-05-2011 at 12:31 AM.

great! do I really need to use a sdxc for pics and a few (couple of minutes) videos (again, just plain old vacation stuff -no professional shooting)? or will a sdhc do the trick? also, does the "mb" make a difference at all?

MB or GB is the amount of memory the card has. It represents how many pictures or how much video you can store. As the cards were able to store more data they had to change the file systems on the card to address that extra data. That's why they started with SD, then SDHC, and now SDXC.

The size of the card and the speed of the card are (for the most part) unrelated. You could have a Class 2 SDXC card although I don't think anyone makes that combination. The size of the card doesn't affect how the camera shoots, only the speed.

First, find out which card types your camera supports. Newer cameras will support all three formats. Some slightly older ones won't support SDXC.

Second, figure out how much memory you want. I'd recommend having more than one card, so you have a backup in case anything happens. Starting with 8G size seems about right, since the cost difference for cards smaller than that is pretty small.

Third, figure out how fast a card you need. Frankly, at this point, I'd buy Class 10 since the price difference is pretty small. But for most people who don't shoot a lot of HD video Class 6 is fine.