Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Pentax q

Pentax q

Why would any serious photographer buy the new Pentax Q interchangeable lens camera which has such a tiny sensor. I looked at the photos posted on another site (before Pentax asked them to be removed) and the edges were blurry.

Question I hear ya

Yes the "serious" part is the catch. Research must have implied that "casual" camera owners would be willing to make this worth a go, with potentially a few serious folks with spare cash joining in. A few features like the in-lens shutter may turn a few heads. I decided months ago that nothing short of the four-thirds sensor size will get my attention any more. My kind of shooting needs the abilities that only a larger sensor can bring.
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

Quote Originally Posted by hombregrande10 View Post
    Why would any serious photographer buy the new Pentax Q interchangeable lens camera
    They won't but large numbers of people who fall for the sales pitch at their local mass merchant will and so will a lot of people looking for a small "better" p&s type camera.

Yeah, this is a small sensor even by my standards. I don't need anything with even the surface area of a nickel, but a dime isn't too much to ask.

I can't see the logic either. They must have been too far down the development path to give it up by the time the latest micro4/3rds and NEX's were announced. The size difference just isn't worth the obvious drop in quality at this time.

Small sensors are good if you want a lot of Depth of Field, and the light is good (enough of it, without too much contrast). Some people on other discussion forums think that with a good macro lens, it would be a great macro camera.

Quote Originally Posted by hombregrande10 View Post
    Why would any serious photographer buy the new Pentax Q interchangeable lens camera which has such a tiny sensor. I looked at the photos posted on another site (before Pentax asked them to be removed) and the edges were blurry.
    I'm guessing: people who don't prioritize looking for blurry edges in photos.
    Looking to buy a Pentax flash? Check out my Definitive Guide to Pentax P-TTL Flash Options.

Why a serious photographer wont buy a q

Blurry edges are a pretty minor problem and is probably lens related. The major problem with q is who it is targeted at. Who would use this? Maybe a macro shooter. MFT camera were great for street photography where the intimidation factor is key. But a q would have to much noise to be used in low light. For landscapes this wont have nearly enough dynamic range and with such a big crop factor making a wide angle lens will be tough. Maybe this camera is for astronomy photography where the large crop factor would be benefcial (a 300mm prime would be an equivalent of 1650mm!)