Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lightbulb Why Pentax doesnt have as many shooters as the big 2

I think the reason that Pentax is behind the big 2 (Canon and Nikon) is because of there lenses. There bodies are just as good as there counterparts but the lenses in my opinion are just too expensive. For a beginner who is starting out there aren't that many good options. For example, their 18-55 is optically behind its competitors and the 55-200 is pretty horrible optically. The 55-300 is pretty good but it is around $300 . On the other hand canon has the 55-250 and nikon has the 55-200 and 55-300 for under $300. And there primes are VERY expensive. There limited lenses are like $500 or above. The only cheap prime is the not so fast but very good 35mm f2.5. And the pro grade DA* lenses are as good as canon L and nikon pro level lenses. Pentax lenses just dont appeal to enough people. Now if there limited lenses were water resistant or cheaper (like $300-$400) the Pentax system would have a lot more appeal. Anyone else agree? I probably totally overlooked something as I am only 13 so takee this with a grain of salt.

Spoorthy Vemula

Actually the 55-300 is $370 right now

its also the fact that like sony their camera bodies have been ordinary and haven't evolved as much as the canon and nikon bodies. its only since their last generation which is superb that they present a compelling package but as they say...the horse has bolted.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I think that Pentax lost the plot in the 1990's. In the late 70's and 80's they and Olympus had what is now called the prosumer market in the palm of their hands. Models like the ME and ME Super and in the Olympus range the OM series were THE cameras that most of us amateurs could aspire to and actually afford to own. Not only that but they were brilliant cameras in their day, great technology, great design and terrific build quality.
    In the 1990's both brands became shells of their former selves with cheap plastic bodies and a definitely down market look and feel. When digital arrived they both missed the boat, they didn't just miss the boat they hadn't even purchased a ticket.
    Pentax have been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for a number of years now and have had several ownership changes. Olympus are only still in business because of their relationship with Panasonic. Overall I think both companies are on slippery slopes and neither will continue in their present form for more than a couple of years. I believe Olympus will be integrated into Panasonic and I believe that Pentax will disappear. IMO it's only hope is that it is purchased by one of the Korean or Chinese up and comers.
    Last edited by K1W1; 06-20-2011 at 06:20 AM.

I think Pentax are suffering from a combination of two problems.

1) Their distinctly mediocre offerings in the early days of the switch to digital - and the unpronounceable name (*ist) didn't help! This is now firmly in the past - from the K10D onwards, they have had highly innovative and competitive cameras, but sadly, many formerly loyal users had already switched brands.

2) Their marketing in many countries worldwide. You can go into any camera shop in the world and find shelves full of Canon, Nikon & Sony products, but if you want to try a Pentax in your hands before you buy, you might well have to travel to another city. I'm lucky that one of my 3 local camera shops does stock Pentax, but even then, if I want something a little out of the ordinary basic kit, which has to be ordered in, trying to get price and delivery information out of Pentax UK is an uphill struggle. I'm not sure how many people really want an adventure game type challenge in just buying their photographic equipment. Servicing is also a problem - when I first sent my DA* 16-50 back for SDM repairs, it had to go back to Japan, and took 3 months. The second time, it only had to go to Germany, and was only 6 weeks. This also perhaps illustrates another problem - manufacturing QC (although most of the major manufacturers have also had issues).

Pentax has essentially no marketing, and little physical presence in the USA. Salesmen sell what they have and know.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/