Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Software for tagging photos

Does anyone use or recommend software for "tagging" photos?

I have a large collection now and would ideally be able to add tags to each like "Dad+Bday+celebration" etc. Would make it MUCH easier to find
    images I know I have!

Does picasa do this (the version you install on your computer)?

Thanks
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

ideally these tags would remain if I change laptop (as in the tags should be added directly to the photo) if possible
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

I use Microsoft Pro Photo Tools and you can add the location data as well as mark the position on a map by dragging the thumbnails. You can just add to the image metadata and/or create a xmp file. The data is read by some other programs although I can not remember which now but as with everything other manufactures have different methods.
    I use Vista and when you mouse over the photo in a large window you can see the tags or search for them. Not sure what happens on other windows versions.
    There was a site displaying how to use it but I can not find it now. Here is the download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...e-878f81896d4d
    Last edited by Anthony; 06-14-2011 at 01:42 PM.

ideally these tags would remain if I change laptop (as in the tags should be added directly to the photo) if possible
    This is one reason I did not want to use some of the cataloging software available.

Adobe Lightroom

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    Does anyone use or recommend software for "tagging" photos?....

Does picasa do this (the version you install on your computer)?

Thanks
    I'll take it you're on a Windows system, so I'd agree with K1W1, tag on import or use a batch process in Lightroom, as its one less piece of software to deal with.

I'm a Mac user, and keyword via import in Aperture. Lightroom probably has various super-user ways (as does Aperture) of even adding more-selective tags after import to various group.
    Eddie
    Kodak Retina IIIc (retired), Canon S100 - the original Digital-Elph, Canon SD1000, Canon G6 (dead), Nikon L11 (for Mrs Eddie), Sony DCR130 HD vidcam, Flip Mino HD vidcam, GoPro HD vidcam, Nikon D40, Nikon D90 (luv)....Don't ask how many camera bags..but I like Think Tank & Crumpler.
    "Eddie's Flickr", "My Autocross shoots" and our "Massively in need of an update Family Page." Happy Mac user family since 1984.