Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Question for the S6000/6500 experts.

I have had my S6500fd for a few weeks now and am beginning to get a grip on its operation. No "stunning" pix to post as yet because I have really been concentrating on learning about the capabilities of the camera. To be sure, this is a mighty fine camera and I am delighted with the results that I have seen, particularly the image quality. For the most part, everything is being shot as .jpeg and I have been cleaning up the images with a little post processing (sharpening, USM, and, at times some lighting corrections) but very little. Now I am beginning to explore the .raf (RAW) capabilities of the unit - wow! It is from this that I have two questions:
    1. Why do the RAW images show up as being 12.9 MP? When saved as .jpeg they revert to 6.3 MP with some (expected) loss of IQ. Is the sensor actually a (nearly) 13 MP item that couples adjacent cells to give better noise performance (perhaps an early version of EXR)?
    2. Not really related to .raf files but sensor related as above.. I recently tried out the digital zoom function (shooting .jpg) and was surprised at the quality of the image, the detail contained within and that the image is still a 6.3 MP one. For all the cameras I have owned, digital zoom simply "cropped" out a portion of the sensor and produced an image at half resolution or interpolated the half resolution and produced an image at (apparently) full resolution from that. When inspecting images taken with and without digital zoom, there was no difference between an image taken with digital zoom and one taken without and then cropped (out of the camera). The images from the S6500fd show better detail in the digital zoom pics that can be extracted from a cropped image. Is this because the sensor has more pixels than advertised and is using them singly rather than paired (if this is the case)?

I have done a lot of searching around on the Internet but have not really found any definitive answer so I wondered if the experts here may be able to shed some light on this for me.

Many thanks,
    Allan

Ok... this http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fuji_Super_CCD has answered my question about the digital zoom. Very tricky and unique to Fuji. Who knew??

Cheers,
    Allan

Gawd! I have been at this for hours but this http://www.letsgodigital.org/printto...id=139&lang=en is the best I can do for an explanation of how the sensor works. It is for an S5 Pro but the sensor technology is the same so this may well explain the extra pixels when using the RAW data. From what I have been able to glean from endless explanations of the EXR technology, those sensors would seem to be an extension/enhancement of the Super CCD VI but using much smarter processing in-camera to achieve the new features of EXR.

Does anyone have anything further on this?

Cheers,
    Allan