Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Telephoto lens?

Thanks in anticipation Kg, birds (feathered) are what I'd normally shoot with my zoom at about 30ft so something representative if you can. Yes same focal lengths it would be interesting to see what both lenses did at 100 and 200mm and then a 300mm shot from the 70-300 compared with a cropped 200mm 50-200 shot. The best shots I've ever got with my 70-300 were at around 100-150mm in good light about 6-8ft away from some birds of prey so something like that to see if the 50-200 is noticably sharper. I was really dissapointed with my airshow shots last year with the 70-300 (really soft generally, my fault maybe?) so a long distance shot from both would be good. Oh and something to show off the oof bokeh of both lenses as the 50-200 is supposed to exhibit strange bokeh in some circumstances. And how about something macro?..... Seriously though any comparisons you can get will be fine just to show the differences the extra money buys and the reason for putting up with that extra weight.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Heh heh... oops! I accidentally ended up getting an 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 along with that old 50-200 . The same seller was auctioning both on Ebay and the total was under $950 shipped between the both of them . So we'll see how that goes...

Well done that was a pretty good price. We'll expect great things now

Great deal Raven. The 11-22 is probably selling in the $400 range by itself. I have the 11-22, but have not used it since I bought the 12-60. The two were very close in performance and overlap was too much to make it worth carrying. I added the 9-18 instead. I still 'own' the 11-22, might need to sell it someday... For now I am waiting for the E-5 to arrive Wednesday (might have to sneak out of the office for Thursday).

Yeah, they probably both sold for about what they should have, if I had looked around more. But I saw them, liked the price (similar to my 70-300 + 9-18 !), and that was it. In any case it seems Olympus prices have been going up recently, so it might not pay to wait a few months.

Took a few distance shots with the 50-200 SWD and the 70-300 at lunch. I will post them over the weekend. I will say that focusing performance is night and day. Jumping from infinity to ~6 feet the 50-200 almost never hunted. The one time it did it still focused in 2-3 seconds at most. The 70-300 racks back and forth for up to 5 seconds most times. It was a bright, sunny day so light was not challenging.

Phil, there were no birds at good distances. I will have to try and get some shots from my feeders at home. Need to have time to be outside the glass doors to do a good test.

Do either of you find that the 50-200 zoom creeps when hung down?

Anyone willing to comment cos I'm thinking of buying a secondhand lens but it does show creep when carried downwards and I just wondered if it was normal or due to excessive use?

I think I did notice that it became fully extended during the single time I used it since I got it last night, but I might have left it that way myself. I'll try again shortly and hopefully let you know in a few hours.

Love that 11-22 already though .

Thanks raven.