Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next lens

Next lens

I have a Canon 500d with the kit lens 18-55mm? and a wide angle lens. I was all set to buy a 70-200mm zoom but am starting to have second thoughts.

So far I have used my kit lens the most and take photos of anything! The thoughts behind the bigger telephoto was the extra reach for birds on ponds etc. but a 200mm may not be powerful enough for this anyway?

The only sports photos I take are of my daughter on school sports days.

Thinking this through though I like to take photos of insects, plants ( so macro would be helpful ? ), people and scenery on holiday. But I would like a walk about lens and I do not know if its worth buying the 70-200 as it may in fact be something I would not bother carrying about. The lens I want needs to be sharper than the kit lens.

Any comments on general lens ideas or specific ones for my camera would be helpful.

Welcome to the reality of DSLR world.
    I can't think of (one) next lens that fulfill all your need that covers all - longer zoom (200+), good macro, people and scenery, walkabout - while not compromising with image quality, so that image is sharper then kit lens.
    You can either have one multipurpose lens 18-200, for example; or many dedicated lenses.
    Even if you want a longer zoom for reach there are many options, depending on the type of photography you have to do. 200 mm is good enough for netball court but for outdoors soccer fields outdoors 200 mm is just a short. Also while a particular zoom lens might be good enough outdoors it might be not good enough indoors.
    While some lenses have decent macro capability which might be okay for general usage you might need a dedicate macro lens if quality if vital.
    So the next step for you to decide is what is most important to you next?

PS: For my case I will order a Nikkor AFS 70-300 soon to shoot my kids local soccer matches. While it's good enough for wildlife and the soccer fields it won't be of much use if I have to shoot a basketball match. And I need a 50 F/1.4 as well. The need goes on...
    Last edited by tim11; 03-04-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Thanks for the coments Tim.

I have been thinking about this a lot over the last day or so and do not think the 70-200 is the right lens for me.

My 18-55 just does not have the range for me and something like a 20-105 or 20-150 would be best ( ranges just made up for ideas).

The problem with the kit lens is it is not very sharp and the colours are not as bright as the wide angle lens and it would be nice to cover this range with a better lens.

At the back of my mind is that the 70-200 gets very good reviews and the other Canon lenses e.g. Canon EF 24-105mm do not get quite so good reviews and they are about the same price!

Looking at the used 70-200mm for sale on ebay I notice a trend in reasons for sale - "Rarly used", "Used once and put in a cupboard", "Used for no more that 100 photos" etc.

I am now thinking about a 18-200 of some make Canon, Tamron or Sigma. Any comments on these three?

Another problem with the 70-200 is it will not fit in my camera bag when attached to the camera!

Unfortunately I think you'll need two or even three lenses to meet all your requirements. At best, the 18-200mm's would be the same as your kit lens but with more zoom. The Canon 15-85mm should be better, the 24-105mm much better. That still leaves you with a telephoto and macro lens to get.

You could just keep the kit lens and get a prime macro lens to change with your kit lens, like a Sigma 105 or 150. They don't zoom, but if you don't mind swapping with your kit lens they would meet all your needs.

I don't have much idea about Canon lenses for obvious reason, however a friend has a Canon 15-85 IS and I find it very very impressive. He used to boast about his Sigma 18-200 OS until he got that 15-85... LOL.
    I don't know what your next step will be but if you want to replace the 18-55 altogerther then I suggest you consider a 15-85 too.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

As you and Tim say raven15 that I probably need more lenses !

I have spent all day looking at the different lenses available and I had homed in on the 24-105. The problem is I am looking for a better quality lens and thinking about it I did borrow a 200mm zoom lens a couple of years ago and the 200mm was not enough for the wildlife I was looking to photograph. So it would make more sense sticking with a smaller more practical zoom for now.

I have the EF-S 10-22 which covers that range and if I get the EF 24-105 that will cover 38-168 as I have the APS-C sensor. That leaves a gap between 22 and 38 but I am sure that can not be a problem?

I had not considered the EF-S 18-135mm this time and will look into it tomorrow but from memory it had a few problems.

Note: Thanks for the tip Tim - I have spent so long writting this reply that you had already posted !
    Last edited by Anthony; 03-05-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added the note.

The 10-22 is an ultra wide lens which I wouldn't even recommend for shooting people indoors since you will get much distortion if you use its wider range. The good thing is you already have a lens for landscape and architecture.
    The fact that you mention you want a sharper lens many times make me think that you will find it hard to find a long zoom multipurpose lens that can give you sharpness across its entire zoom range. Like I said previously, some lens will offer some decent macro capability and while that might be okay for some the results from such lens will be nowhere near a dedicated macro lens.
    No one says it's easy... and you will buy more and more gears. The trick is to work out what your immediate need will be so to justify that next purchase.
    Nikon D90, D80

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

I have the EF-S 10-22 which covers that range and if I get the EF 24-105 that will cover 38-168 as I have the APS-C sensor. That leaves a gap between 22 and 38 but I am sure that can not be a problem?....
    22 and 38 is very important to me. It won't do without such range when shooting indoors. If I can only take one lens I will choose my 16-85, which is 24-128 for Nikon.
    Are you going to get rid of the 18-55? What is the budget for the next lens?
    Nikon D90, D80

I did not realise that the EF-S lenses needed the crop factor as well and assumed the focal length was calculated differently for them.

So I have the 10-22 and if I had the 24-105 there is a gap of 2mm in the range. I know that I will need to change lenses and carry one lens.
    As you point out I will still have my 18-55 and that is not a burden to carry as it is quite small. I do not think there is any point in trying to sell it.

I need to give this more thought ( I just seem to be going around and around in circles ).
    I will ask around work to see if there is another Canon user I can try some of their lenses on my camera; most other users I know use Nikon or do not have the sort of lens I am thinking about.

My buget is around 700 for a lens; but do not let my wife know!