Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thumbs up Sigma releases the 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO

Well, it took some serious pressure, but SIGMA finally has realized that a stabilized 120-300mm f/2.8 was just what the doctor ordered for the masses.

This is a lens that should offer indoor sports and night football a fighting chance. While my experience with the SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM has fallen short of the desired outcome, in this arena, the Minolta 200mm f/2.8 HS G put up a nice fight .. but, it is limited to a fixed focal length.

SIGMA now offers the ultimate in compromise, without losing the light. Zoom and illume!

Personally, I applaud the availability of this powerhouse of a lens, now offered in most of the manufacturer's mounts (unlike the prior SIGMA, Nikon and Canon only), but the $3200 street price will take a little more gumption to realize and pony up. This a lot of glass ... ~5-lbs worth. Having stabilization in it on the SONY and Pentax mounts is pretty novel.

If you had to decide on one lens to "do it all" ... this in my idea of the upper end, super-zoom. Of course, the 105mm B+W Kaeseman Circular Polarizing Filter is a bit of a knock @ $226. Also, I am not sure if the Lens Hood comes with it or not. Add a plastic liner bag to the lens hood and it should make for a handy ice bucket, I suppose, when you are not using it on the lens.

Way to go, SIGMA!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-01-2011 at 11:49 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I think Sigma lenses usually come with a hood, where appropriate. All the ones I've heard of so far have, anyway.