Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Unhappy with Mack Camera

Let me first say that in the past, I had been satisfied with Mack Camera. The prices are fair when purchased from a good dealer such as BH Photo or Adorama.....HOWEVER, I have recently gotten

horrible service....information is vague, when they post that camera is sent to manufacturer, and you press them (I did call manufacturer and they never had the camera) they tell you they sent it to a certified repair place....hmmm oh and they are hard to reach by phone. I'm still waiting for my camera and although I was told I was going to get it by today (they were on speaker phone others heard conversation) I was today told I may see my camera NEXT week.

So your very first and maybe only contribution to this forum is to spread bad news.
    Isn't human nature a wonder thing.

Just to share bad experience.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by Mreiman1 View Post
    Let me first say that in the past, I had been satisfied with Mack Camera. The prices are fair when purchased from a good dealer such as BH Photo or Adorama.....HOWEVER, I have recently gotten

horrible service....information is vague, when they post that camera is sent to manufacturer, and you press them (I did call manufacturer and they never had the camera) they tell you they sent it to a certified repair place....hmmm oh and they are hard to reach by phone. I'm still waiting for my camera and although I was told I was going to get it by today (they were on speaker phone others heard conversation) I was today told I may see my camera NEXT week.
    Just in case you don't see my response where you posted this complaint at photographyreview.com......

I don't know whether you purchased the warranty via Adorama, but just in case you did, I've notified the Director of sales at Mack of your complaint. I hope this helps, but do email me if I can offer any other assistance.

NB Do you happen to know whether your unit is a US version or grey market? If the latter, it may explain the delay.
    Last edited by HelenOster; 03-02-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

Whatever the source or basis of this complaint my own personal experience with Mack has been mixed. That being said I have never purchased a new Mack warranty but have had warranties transferred to me with the purchase of used gear. My opinion is that these warranties are nothing but a device to get consumers to hand over more cash. In some cases markups and sales commissions are higher on extended warranties than they are on the products they cover.

Consumer advocacy groups as well as a number of consumer publications (Consumer Reports, Protect Yourself) have come out against extended warranties and have labeled them a bad deal. Studies have shown that in general, repairs covered under the extended period are roughly equal to the cost of warranty itself and service is often sub-par.

So, unhappy with your extended warranty? Do the smart thing and don't buy them in the first place.
    Last edited by BBPhoto; 03-02-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

Mark as I posted in the other threads you have posted this on, Im not sure which manufacturer you spoke to but we use a network of over 50 different manufacturers for many different brands of camera. Not all units go directly to the original company manufacturer because it gives you (the customer) a shorter turn-around time to actually get your camera back in your hands.

As for contacting us we have spoken multiple times now so I am not sure how we could make our communication better for you. Again, if you wish to speak about this matter further please contact me via email or phone.

Thank you

Your camera was at the Pentax repair center (United Camera Repair). That is who Pentax tells us to send the cameras to. They are the authorized Pentax repair center.
    We and United found nothing wrong with the camera. You have been spoken to by Mack multiple times and we can not get anywhere. You claim that it is out of focus and all the computers and shots we take show that the camera is fine.

Isn't it strange how serial complainers only every present one side of a story.

Looks like he is posting the same thing on every forum he can find

Interesting that a Mack staffer is a junior member with 1 or 2 posts. Thought they'd contribute enough over time to all forums to be senior's.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate