Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Digital SLR Prints - 4"x6" & 8"x10"

Right now I own an Olympus Stylus SW 8010 and get average quality 4x6 prints and very grainy 8x10 prints. I am looking to buy a Pentax Kx SLR (which is 12.5mp) and I was wondering if I will get better looking prints? I print out every image as a 4x6 and select a few good ones to get blown up into 5x7 or 8x10 so I would like to have very clear images.

Also, I've heard that anything over an 8mp results in clear 5x7 and 8x10 images but grainy, bad quality 4x6's...is that true?

It's strange that 8X10's don't come out clear. If your settings are right they should come out. Just going to list a few:

-Image size and quality should be set at maximum.
    -Shutter speed should be at the slowest 1/40 sec with IS on.
    -Iso should not be higher than 400.

This model doesn't turn out the sharpest images, but you should be getting more than you claim.

According to many posters the camera will record at maximum size then downsize it to your settings, so unless you're worried about memory card space I would always leave it at 12 mp. Never heard of and 8X10 coming out clear but not a 4X6. It may depend on photo cropping and printer settings. I've printed out some great 81/2 X 11 images from a 6mp compact camera.

The Pentax is a totally different animal. The image quality will blow the Oly out of the water. If you're ready to switch to a Dslr then the Pentax is a good choice. There are many posts here that explain the pros and cons of a Dslr.

Hope this helps a bit

Quote Originally Posted by peaceoutaly View Post
    Right now I own an Olympus Stylus SW 8010 and get average quality 4x6 prints and very grainy 8x10 prints. I am looking to buy a Pentax Kx SLR (which is 12.5mp) and I was wondering if I will get better looking prints? I print out every image as a 4x6 and select a few good ones to get blown up into 5x7 or 8x10 so I would like to have very clear images.
    Presumably the DSLR will get much better results, unless there is another problem in your process, for example, motion blur, misfocus, problems introduced on a computer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceoutaly View Post
    Also, I've heard that anything over an 8mp results in clear 5x7 and 8x10 images but grainy, bad quality 4x6's...is that true?
    No, it should be no problem to get nice 4x6 prints with good downsizing.
    Last edited by raven15; 02-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.

The only possible problem you can have clear 6x4" and grainy 8x10" might be because you shoot in lowest quality and smallest size. Technically your camera should be fine with 8x10" providing you get the setting right and take a good clear shot.

My D90 (12.3MP) can print 20x30", providing the image is sharp and clear to start with.
    Now... if you have a good and clear shot at 12.5 MP (on any camera) then you can print at around 20x30" (or slightly larger if the image is sharp). You wont' have any problem printing any size smaller than that.

Like other said above, downsizing is not be a problem. However if you try upsizing a small image you will give get grainy and blurry images; that's why I only shoot and maximum size and finest quality.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

I found a couple of on line reviews of the Olympus Stylus SW 8010 that were generally very uncomplimentary about the image quality - over processed and over compressed were two things that I recall along with softness and generally poor image quality. I guess this points towards the well meaning advice offered above to be off target with regards to "should" print at 8x10 and changing the user settings.

You will get way, way better prints from any DSLR on the market these days particularly if you use a half decent lens but even with the kit lens you will notice an immediate and huge improvement in your shots in sharpness, focus, colour rendition and detail. Once you get to grips with the DSLR I doubt whether the 8010 will ever be picked up again.

Obviously a DSLR is going to be bigger and nowhere near as rugged are waterproof as the 8010 so if those are features that you use in the Olympus you should consider your purchase very carefully before buying.