Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Interchangability of old zoom lens onto digital cameras

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to use my old Olympus OM-1 Lens on a new digital Olympus camera? Are old lens interchangable with new digital camera bodies? Thanks.

You can if you buy an adapter, but you will loose autofocus if you had it. Also, current Olympus sensors are smaller than film, so the focal length of the lens effectively doubles, ex. your 50mm will behave like a 100mm. People who like to use old lenses generally prefer a camera like the Olympus E-PL2 because the optional electronic viewfinder makes manual focus very easy, and it provides image stabilization.

Raven is correct, only thing to add is that the adaptors are pretty cheap on ebay. I think I paid less than 3 for mine and I also got a nice 50mm F1.8 OM lens for 10.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

OK, thanks. Generally, follows what I've been able to find on other web posts. But thought I'd ask before I bought a digital assuming that things would be interchangeable and function without any quirks.