Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Basic accessories for K-X

So, I went ahead and bought the K-x with the regular and 300mm lens.
    I already have rechargeables, tripod and memory card from my S2 IS.

What are some of the must have accessories for this camera (or any DSLR) in order to protect and make it last longer? I dont want to break the bank buying acc's though.

Thanks.

Hi Again!

Other accessories that could help protect your camera would include a good camera bag. I think the only sensible way to buy a bag is to take all your gear down to a shop and try fitting everything in. It might be a good idea to get a bag with a bit more room than you need at the moment so you'll have room for the additional bits and pieces you're bound to accumulate. With some designs of bag you can get extra strap on pouches for extra lenses and other larger extras when you need them.

There are 3 main designs of bag. There's the rucksack type which you carry on your back, generally more comfortable on long distance hikes, but usually you have to take it off to get at anything. Some of these have 2 sections - a well padded section at the bottom for your camera gear, and an unpadded compartment at the top for spare clothes, food etc. Some rucksacks have straps for carrying a tripod on the outside.

Then there's the shoulder bag, designed to be carried with a strap over one shoulder. Usually you can get at most of your gear without putting the bag down (though it's easy to drop things if you're not careful!). They're not so comfortable to carry over long distances.

Finally, the sling type bags (Lowepro Slingshot range or Tamrac Velocity etc.) are a sort of halfway house, that can be worn over the shoulder or on the back.

Other protection accessories would include protection filters for the lenses. Personally, I'm not a fan of these unless shooting in extreme conditions (windblown sand in a desert or on a beach etc.) Any glass in front of the lens is going to degrade the image to a greater or lesser extent, and if you get a top quality filter, it can cost a significant fraction of the cost of the lens. Pentax lenses have very hard damage resistant coatings.

Lens hoods can provide quite a lot of protection, as well as reducing flare, so if you didn't get hoods for both lenses in the kit, it could be worth getting them. The original Pentax ones are nice in that they have a small removable section at the bottom which makes it a lot easier to adjust a polarising filter. You can get flexible rubber ones quite cheaply which would do fine for the tele lens.

Finally, cleaning supplies - lens tissues or a microfibre lens cloth are less likely to damage the lens coatings than rubbing it with your shirt. Sensor cleaning tools such as a Rocket blower might be useful, but I've personally found the Pentax anti dust system to be quite effective.

Thanks again, Alex.

Great info. Thanks for your time too.