Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

K-X buying options

Hi,

After doing some research I've decided to go ahead and buy the K-X, which will be first foray into DSLRs.

I consider myself an enthusiast and have a decent knowledge of the techniques and terminology when it comes to photos but am totally new to the SLR world. In other words, I dont know much about lenses, the mm stuff and such.

So, I was wondering if someone could help me decide whether to get the K-X with just the kit lens or get the body with another lens.

I plan to use the camera mainly to take pictures of our newborn baby girl and after that general stuff like birthday parties, weekend trips, etc. Image quality is a priority.

Thanks in advance.

The Pentax 18-55 kit lens isn't bad, and the K-x's high ISO quality makes good low light shots possible even at modest apertures. Also, most retailers seem to price the kit with the lens at not much more than the body only, so you might as well get it.

Another kit option is the twin lens kit with a tele zoom - I think there are 2 common options, the 50-200 and the 55-300. If you think you might ever be interested in wildlife or outdoor sports, get the 55-300 bundle. It's one of the best budget telezooms available, and better than the 50-200 in the overlapping range. The kit usually has the "L" for lightweight version, with plastic mount, and without quick shift manual focus or lens hood, but it's still quite a bargain.

If you want to consider upgrading the standard lens, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the Sigma 17-50/2.8 both seem to be well regarded. Some of the other 3rd party standard zooms, such as the Sigma 17-70 are also quite well thought of, but there's recently been a new version which I don't know so much about. Pentax's own 16-45/4 is quite well thought of, would let you get a little wider, and is relatively inexpensive. You might find a retailer who'll do a bargain deal with one of these instead of the Pentax 18-55.

There are detailed reviews of many lenses at SLRgear.

Thanks.
    I'll look out for the twin lens kit option. Seems to be the most economical.

Also, I've read you could use any old Pentax lens with the K-X but have to focus manually.
    What exactly does that mean? Are there any old lenses that support auto focus?

Sorry I've not been here for a few days.

The K-x will autofocus with any older Pentax K mount lens designed for autofocus, and also support autoexposure, just like any of the new lenses. You may need to select the lens focal length when you turn the camera on to enable the shake reduction to work properly.

You can also use older manual focus K mount lenses, but obviously these won't autofocus (though I believe there was an autofocus adapter which acted as a teleconverter, increasing the focal length by 1.7x as well as enabling AF over a limited range). Lenses with an "A" setting on the aperture ring (sometimes called PKA) will allow full autoexposure. Lenses without the "A" setting will only support autoexposure in aperture priority, and require you to press the green button for stop down metering. You can also do stop down metering in manual exposure mode. You'll need to select the focal length when you turn the camera on, and enable "Use aperture ring" in the setup menu.

Finally, you can use very old screw mount (M42) lenses with an adapter, using stop down metering.

Pentax probably have the best support for backwards compatibility with old lenses of all the major DSLR manufacturers. There's a lot of information about the various forms of Pentax lens mount and compatibility on Bojidar Dimitrov's site here.

Thanks a lot, Alex.

Thats a lot of helpful information. I guess once I get more into the DSLR, I'll understand more.

Thanks again for your help.