Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

DSLR walkthrough

Does anyone know of any web sites that have a decent tutorial on the basics of a DSLR, functions, buttons, general stuff?

I've found a couple on a quick search but a lot of the pages that come up aren't one thing or another (never was too good at searching).

The ones I have so far are this one andthis.

Thanks in advance.

It's called the user manual and one comes with every camera.

The only way you are going to learn the functions of buttons on any camera is information that relates to that specific product. Each manufacturer has slightly different labelling of their buttons and often different functions. What might be accessed by a button on a Nikon camera may require delving into the menu structure on a canon to achieve the same result and may not even be able to be done on a Pentax or Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLatchkey View Post
    Does anyone know of any web sites that have a decent tutorial on the basics of a DSLR, functions, buttons, general stuff?
    Does this mean you are looking for a DSLR and want an understanding of the basics before making a choice on camera model....or do you have a DSLR already and want a better understanding of what it can do ?
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Hi HG, thank you for your reasonable and sensible response.

My lad has the opportunity to get his hands on a DSLR in the new year (we don't know what model it's likely to be as yet) and I thought it might be useful for him to get a grip of the basics before hand.

Ergo, I was looking for more of the same in terms of sites like this, mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLatchkey View Post
    Hi HG, thank you for your reasonable and sensible response.
    You are welcome. You will find there are plenty of Members on the forum that will be more than happy to help. Most of us remember that we were all learners once

Have sent a PM offering a simple tutorial in PDF format if it helps.
    Last edited by Honest Gaza; 12-15-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Youtube also has many resources. Type in : Dslr intro, tutorial.

Thanks for the link Anthony, and the offer HG (about to reply to PM), and the YouTube suggestion. All very much appreciated.

I highly recommend this video tutorial by Ben Long. It's fairly long but well worth it.

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=71923