Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Exclamation Memory Card Wiped Out

Hi, I have an 'Olin' (High Speed 4GB) SD CARD, which I use to keep my photos. On my computer (Windows Vista), I can't cut & paste, or delete any photos/videos but I can on my laptop.

Anyways, while previewing a picture using Windows Photo Gallery, I rotated it by accident, and exited the preview. Then I right-clicked the image to 'rotate clockwise' so that it would go back to its original position. Something happened, then I got a window saying 'folder cannot be found'. I clicked back, and then it said 'card cannot be found'.

I took the card out and put it back in my camera (Canon IXY Digital 1000), and it said 'No Image'...meaning it was empty. But THEN when I put it into the card slot on my LAPTOP, I checked its properties and it said 'Used space: 723mb', 'Free space: 3.04gb'. But nothing is showing up! The whole card seems to be empty!!!

I put it into the slot on my COMPUTER, tried downloading 'ZAR 8.5', but that didn't work because the computer couldn't read my card!!! SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE. I am panicking!

Try doing a search on this forum for image recovery or rescue software - there's been many programs mentioned over the years, and some are even a free download. The chances are that you'll find one that works for you, but you may have to try several before you get there.

Then for future reference NEVER allow the computer to write to the card, by editing or even rotating images (using the write protect tab on SD cards is good). Windows sometimes tries writing to the card without telling you. Cameras sometimes have a slightly different idea of the details of the filesystem format from what the computer OS has, and this can easily lead to corruption. It appears that the best technique is to copy all the images from the card to a folder on the computer, check that they've all copied OK (by actually opening and viewing the full image, not just looking at the thumbnail), then reformat the card in the camera before taking any more pictures.

It's also a good idea to back up your pictures by copying them to CDs / DVDs or an external hard disk, and maybe make sure you've got back ups of the rest of your data too.
    Last edited by AlexMonro; 10-05-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Viv,

First of all welcome to the forum secondly please don't ever be so dumb as to leave your photos on your memory card again. Memory cards are fragile and are only to ever be used as temporary storage. Develop a system of transferring images to your PC as soon as you can and then wiping and reformatting your card regularly. If you have been storing images on the card and deleting some and adding others with reformatting the card that is probably the ultimate source of your problem. User error is far more prevalent than hardware error.

To try to fix the problem trying downloading Digital Recovery 5 from here. Every time I have used it it has worked where other recovery utilities have not. The program costs US$25.00 but has saved me numerous times. I am not associated with the program in any way except as a user.

Edit:

BTW I notice that you say you have a 4GB SD card. Is it SD or SDHC? There is a real difference and if it is a 4GB SD card you may be in serious trouble. Please confirm.
    Last edited by K1W1; 10-07-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Thank you AlexMonro and K1W1 for your help. (It's an SD card, definitely not SDHC, right now it doesn't seem to be damaged...)

I downloaded the Zero Assumption Recovery software which I discovered through a google search before making this thread. Free. http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm My computer still wouldn't read my memory card so I reformatted it in my camera. (Wasn't on low level formatting) Then I could use the program and it ended up recovering all of my photos. A lot of them were corrupted, or broken but most of them were okay. After that, I saved the photos to a folder on my computer.

Normally, I DO save my pictures onto my computer, but this time I just decided to have a look at them on my card first...stupid thing to do. I should've saved them and then previewed those ones. It was just a one-off mistake which I will NEVER make again.

So yeah...anyone out there...DON'T do what I did.

Just so you know, SD cards are really only designed to go up to 2G, but there was a trick to make them address 4G. It's not completely supported by all things, so you can get into bad situations. With the price of memory being so low, it may be time to pick up another card just to hedge your bets.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Just so you know, SD cards are really only designed to go up to 2G, but there was a trick to make them address 4G.
    That is correct.
    What you should do now is go and buy a proper SDHC card and retire the current one. In the long term it's a much safer option.
    If you want to use the current card what I would do is take the data off it and reformat it as a 2GB card only but for the cost of cards now it's note really worth the bother.