Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E5

Ken I suspect from my brief handling I'll feel much the same. Just need to get used to it I guess. Thanks
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Phil,

I have thought hard about buying one, but it did not feel like a big enough bump from the E-520. I really liked the articulated LCD and ISO800, but everything else seemed to be a fairly neutral change. If I had the E-510 I would put a few more pluses in the E-620 column. The battery difference would bum me out as well since it means new chargers and extra batteries adding another $75 to the upgrade.

I see the only path for me in Oly is the E-5 since the E-620 is a clear winner over the E-30. Sigh... I would much rather spend $800 on a E-50 if it were to exist and then buy a EC-14 or some other lens, etc. before spending $1700 on an E-5. I might still change my mind if I saw a good E-620 on eBay for $250.

Ken I love your US prices $250 would be a real steal. I just paid 349 for mine new with the 14-42 lens which was significantly less (~75) than other ebay sellers and way less than major stores here. I checked what B&H were selling it for and converted to s to compare and my deal was a bit cheaper so I went for it. In the end it turned out to be a US model camera and came with a UK adaptor plug so no problem. My plan is to sell the E510 and both kit lenses (hardly ever use the 40-150) after Christmas when I'm sure I'm used to the E620. That way my upgrade will not have cost very much at all and I can start saving again for better glass.

Or save the E-510 for an IR conversion. It is only another $350 or so...

That's an interesting idea hadn't considered that. My other half may take a little convincing though.

Phil,

I will have the same dilemma if (okay when) I upgrade my E-520 to an E-3. My wife has been, "sell it to pay for it." But I have been thinking I love IR, or a backup body would sure be handy sometimes... Maybe I could convince my wife they are the same camera if she only seems one at a time? It works for some identical twins I know and they generally enjoy the results

I'd like an IR camera too, but unfortunately I'd want a new micro 4/3's, because I imagine the EVF would help me see IR light better, plus a guarantee of accurate focusing. So that's even more expensive. I'd have my E-410 converted otherwise.

The E-5 arrived this morning. Damn, it is a big honking thing. I had forgotten how big it was compared to the E-520. And so many new buttons to learn. Only thing I miss right off is the good old mode dial. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to get into aperture mode. Only had a little time to play with it today. Had my 12-60 on it and boy is the autofocus fast. Tried a few quick shots in live view and the autofocus there was hit or miss. Definitely going to need to read this manual. And really glad I bought it well before my Alaska trip this Summer as there is lots to learn and setup.

One plus is the built in flash is almost twice as tall as on the E-520. With the 12-60 on there is almost no flash shadow. On the E-520 a good 20% of the bottom of the photo was in shadow.

Congratulations on your E5 from the reports it sounds really good. I wish they'd make a smaller one though. Something E520 size I'm sure would sell brilliantly. I look forward to seeing you post your results and thoughts.

Well, I went out at lunch to grab a few 50-200 vs. 70-300 shots for the other thread (will post later in the week). I am still overwhelmed by the focusing speed with the 12-60 and the 50-200. I am also still overwhelmed by the button learning curve. I have decided that I truly dislike the placement of the Menu button. It is awkward to use when in the menus since all the other menu navigation controls are centered on the navigation pad. It makes menu navigating a two handed function. I also wish the shutter button had a distinctive texture or a small nub in the middle. I have smallish hands and it does not fall naturally under my finger so I have to hunt for it by feel.