Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E5

E5

Well, the E5 seems to be exactly the camera that was leaked. Nice enough with a few minor tweaks, but can't see it worth the price point in today's market. Really was hoping for an E50 equivalent upgrade to the E30. Neither one offers enough improvement over the E620 for my money. The better LCD, slight improvement in high ISO over the E620 and the 7 shot bracketing are the only features with any appeal to me. But those are not worth a $1000 price jump over an E620. When the E30 came out I would have made that upgrade if the bracketing was a 5 shot capture with a +/-2 stop spread. Nothing else seemed worth the price and bulk increase. I guess I will lower my sights back to a E620...

I agree, the price just seems too high, especially with Nikon, Canon and Pentax all coming out with new higher end models.
    It almost seems that they pushed it out because eveyone was asking for one, but they want to center on the micro 4/3's system.

Yeah, a couple new telephoto lenses would have been better. I am not looking for a 4/3 sensor camera this big anyhow. I could get a full frame camera for that size, and almost for that price! But who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. No, I don't think so, at least not with a few new lenses.

I'm afraid I agree with you guys, E5 isn't for me either. I'd like an E620 replacement with a slightly bigger grip bigger OVF and HD video. Not sure I'd be happy with the EVF's of the micro 4/3's czms yet.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

FYI - I've just sold my two E-510's and purchased a E-3.

The E-30 and E-3 are so close in size as to not matter and the increase from the E-510 to E-30 was not a big deal.

I personally have no interest in m4/3's and will be upgrading to a E-5 but not for a year or so

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

Looking at the E-5 I am a little interested the more I read, but I would not use it with my current lenses, it is too big to make sense. I'd switch to an 11-22, 50-200, and maybe 150mm f/2 (!) then acquire a m4/3 and small primes, selling or donating all my current cameras and lenses. Which could happen, but I'm not in a position to buy anything for another year. And if I did the E-5 is the last thing I'd look at...

Well, i am borrowing a friend's E-620 this weekend for races at Road Atlanta. So I guess I will see how I feel about that as a middle ground upgrade from the E-520. If the E-5 was in the $1k range I would be more tempted, but I can buy 3 E-620's with lenses for the same price! I am disappointed that Olympus did not include a real HDR capture mode in the E-5. Lots of bracketing options and processing power for art filters I would have thought adding in camera 3 exposure HDR would be a no brainer. They could have even made it a real leading edge variety over other brands. Have it so it would let you choose the EV spacing at +/-1 or +/-2 EV. Maybe even let you select the type of bracketing used for the in camera HDR.

Has anyone here ordered or bought an E5 yet? While I really do not want to spend the money I am close to convincing myself. I am planning an Alaska trip this Summer and have that upgrade itch. Plus I see weather sealing as a real benefit up there. Since I already have the 12-60 and 50-200 sealed lenses I would be ready to go. Of course, I saw I can rent a body ~$300 for 2 weeks...

No E5 but have just gone for an E620 that was very cheap on ebay. What did you make of it when you borrowed one? I've only just opened the box and checked it worked. First impression was a bit mixed though, grip better than I expected, buttons a little tricky to press, lighting up is cool though, flip out lcd really good, 1st images much softer than E510 so hope I don't regret this purchase - now have to wait until Christmas to try it properly.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Phil,

I used it at an auto race so most of the work was high speed; both shutter and me. Overall I liked the camera. It did seem to me that the buffer was either smaller or slower than on my E-520. It may also be that the 12 vs. 10 Mpixels consumes it more. However, I found that on my E-520 when the buffer fills the shot to shot times drop. On the E-620 it seemed as though the camera just stopped.

I felt that the E-620 did much better at ISO800 than the E-520, but action shots are not the ideal subject for comparison. This was the Petit LeMans so some of the action was after dark and the extra stop or two was nice to have.

Handling was good. The grip was passable, but not as secure as the E-520. I had a hard time adjusting to the On/Off switch. I seem to recall that it went the opposite direction from my other Olympus cameras. Using both bodies this and the button layout sometimes bugged me.

Ken