Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What could I have done different.........

To avoid the noise in this shot? I usually take decent night shots, but I was really disappointed in my efforts from last night. *sigh* This was shot at 46mm, 40 seconds, F-11, and an ISO of 100. I did a pixel mapping before we went out to shoot. I'm thinking a good cleaning/servicing might be in order not that that has anything to do with noise. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jay
    I don't make mistakes.....I have happy little accidents. (Bob Ross)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/builder24car/

Builder,

At that size I do not see a big noise problem. Maybe crop out a small section and post it for a 100% pixel view of the problem. Pixel mapping just shuts down dead pixels on the sensor. It is probably worth going to ISO 200 as there is not a big noise difference and the shorter the exposure the less hot pixel type noise.

It is important to note that hot external temperatures are bad for long exposure shooting as the sensor heats up even more. I imagine it was on the toasty side even in the evening in NC.

This is a little bigger than the 800 X 800 allowed, but I'm hoping it'll show up better? I didn't think about the weather. It was taken about 8:30ish last night and the air temps were still close to or above 90 degrees as it had been over a 100 most of the afternoon. There was also about a 30 minute downpour about 7:00 or so. Not sure if that would make a difference or not? I know I've taken night shots before using close to the same settings and they would be crystal clear for the most part.

Those do look like typical hot pixels. Do you have noise reduction turned on? That will force the camera to take a second shot for the same exposure as the 'real' one, but with the shutter closed. It will then find any hot pixels and attempt to match them to the surrounding color in the image. It does make a 40 second shot take 80 seconds.

My noise reduction was on as it always is for night shooting. I can't see how I would have taken it off by accident? I'm just hoping my camera isn't getting ready to bite the dust or something?

Are you sure you had long exposure noise reduction on? Because that really looks like heat noise.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Well I THOUGHT it was on last night, but when I looked just now it was off? I never shoot at night without it being on. I don't know how I could have turned it off. Course there was about 20 of us shooting and a lot of beer was involved so I guess anything is possible? I'll look tonight when I get home at my properties and see if I can tell? If it was off I'm going to feel like a frickin idiot...........AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
    Well I THOUGHT it was on last night, but when I looked just now it was off? I never shoot at night without it being on. I don't know how I could have turned it off. Course there was about 20 of us shooting and a lot of beer was involved so I guess anything is possible? I'll look tonight when I get home at my properties and see if I can tell? If it was off I'm going to feel like a frickin idiot...........AGAIN!
    Thing is, you said it was a 40 second exposure... and it's coming up as a 40 second exposure in the EXIF data in ACDsee Pro, when normally the LE NR will double the EXIF data time in that program.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Damn if I know? I couldn't find any evidence the noise reduction was on per say, just what exposure it was. I just find it strange that I could accidently take it off when there are a series of steps you have to do. I'll just have to pitch those shots and try them again sometime. *sigh* Thanks ya'll, I appreciate the help!

Jay