Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thumbs down Memory Card not fitting after water damage???

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help!

My camera (Panasonic FS7) got water damaged a few days ago (don't ask). I used a hair dryer to get the water out of the screen and then have placed it in a box of rice for the last 2 days to try and absorb most of the moisture.

When I tried to turn it on every now and again, the green light came on for a second, then died again. BUT tonight it turned on and actually loaded up, I took a picture (which worked), then turned the camera off again... not it won't go on again and is now back in the rice.

Do you think it'll work again??

My main question (in regards to the title) is:
    Since the water damage, I can't seem to get the SD card to "click" in place, it just doesn't seem to fit any more!! I'm definitely putting it in the right way and I've checked the space, there's no rice or anything stuck in there... I don't get it - could this be related to the water damage or what?

Any help would be great! I'm really gutted, it was such a great point and shoot camera, the macro was amazing. It was only a couple of months old as well and there's no way I can afford to get another one (poor student), plus I'm going on holiday next week and will be very very gutted if there's no holiday photos

For future reference, if something gets water in it you should take the battery out and leave it well alone till it has very thoroughly dried out. Turning the power on before it is dry is a bad idea, as it's not the water that damages electronics, it's the water short circuiting components when electricity flows through them.

As to your memory card, are you sure it isn't the card itself that's damaged? Have you tried a different one?
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Thank you for your reply. Yeah water & electronics are a bad mix, I guess I just never really thought that through, was too desperate to try and get my camera to work.

Anyway, it turns out that there WAS a sneaky piece of rice in the memory card bit... I managed to get it out with a hair grip. The camera is now working BUT it won't read memory cards (I've tried 3) so I think I've killed something with the hair grip
    Is there anywhere I could get a picture of the inside of a SD card slot to see what it is supposed to look like, to see if I can move the wee wirey bits back in place (def assuming SOMETHING has moved)

My phone was also drowned, but that was insured so that's covered. Ughhh.

I've been in the water damage situation before, I was stupid enough to leave my MP3 player in my pocket once and it went through the washing machine. Worked fine a couple of days later - Electronics are tougher than we give them credit for!

As for the SD slot, I'd just shine a torch in there and see if you can see anything that's obviously bent out of shape, and if not then check the metal contacts align with those on the card. But if you're going to go fiddling around in there make sure you don't snap the contacts off, I don't imagine they're too resilient.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Ask you friend Google - there might be an image there of an SD connector that would be useful.

If you have bent something I would think it will be very hard bending it back as the connectors look a long way down a narrow slot.

I suppose some fine tweezers or a jewelers type screwdriver might get down far enough but you are not going to see what you are doing.

A video here showing somebody partialy dismantalling one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uXT5p_iKWw

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
    Do you think it'll work again??
    The camera is stuffed it's a waste of time trying to fix it as any apparent fix will only be temporary. By all means play with it but buy a new camera for use and treat this one as a potential time bomb.

Thank you!

I couldn't find a picture of the inside of an SD card slot.. but I think one of the connectors have come loose because it doesn't look "right". I'm not going to fiddle around in there, to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't want to make the damage any worse.

It's working perfectly today, I've been taking photos of everything and anything just for the sake of it haha.

I go on holiday on Sunday and figured that I have 50mb of internal memory, so I can take 250 photos at 640 pixels x 480 pixels... guess it's better than nothing and they'll only be silly drunken snaps for facebook haha

If I had the money I'd buy another camera, but I don't