Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Help with F70 EXR

Hi everyone...this past winter I purchased the Fuji F70 based on several reviews...I really wanted a compact, high zoom camera that would do well in indoor situations, as well as action photos for the outdoors, etc...I know there is no perfect camera, but based on all I read, the F70 fit most of my criteria.

I've read so much about it, read the manual front to back but all my indoor photos are horribly soft - I have tried several of the different auto settings, but they are still horrible. Very little detail, in fact, when I zoom in, I feel like they look like paintings instead of photos!

Can someone clue me in if there is some sort of magic button I'm missing, lol? Any information would be helpful...I'm at the point now where I'm looking into getting another camera because I'm so disappointed in the image quality. Thanks for any help!

Lucy

Quote Originally Posted by tkln View Post
    .....- I have tried several of the different auto settings, but they are still horrible.....
    I don't have a F70 but I'd say it's all to do with the camera limitations. If you can post a few images I can pinpoint exactly where the problem lies. Generally, no point and shoot cameras do well in low light.
    Auto settings- that the root of the problem. To squeeze the best outcome out of them you will have to learn their functions and understand the basic of photography. I'm afraid there will not be a camera with 'magic' buttons to give you award winning images.
    Low light, long zoom... tiny cameras - they will lead to soft and grainy pictures. I'm not surprised by the outcome.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Several folks have commented that to really get the most out of the Fuji F-series required manual controls, the auto setting won't do what you want. So, if you are willing to experiment a bit and learn how the manual setting on the camera operate you can get more out of this camera than from most P&S models, especially in low light. But if you're not willing to do that, this probably isn't the right camera for you.

Thanks for your responses...I did a bunch more reading yesterday, and yeah, I guess I was expecting too much from the camera. In comparison to some of the full size examples I saw from similar cameras, my photos from the auto settings seem to be about the same, so I guess it's not as bad as I thought. I knew it wouldn't be perfect, just thought it would be better.

I think part of the problem is that I'm spoiled - my fiancÚ is a photojournalist who uses a D3 and I do a lot of the post production for him, seeing all the sharp low light images he gets, I just wasn't prepared for these to be so soft. He's been bugging me to learn more about the manual settings, when all I want is to press a button and go!

I'll spend some more time with the manual and practice, practice, practice. Hopefully I can make some improvements...thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tkln View Post
    I've read so much about it, read the manual front to back but all my indoor photos are horribly soft - I have tried several of the different auto settings, but they are still horrible. Very little detail, in fact, when I zoom in, I feel like they look like paintings instead of photos!
    What do you mean by soft photos? Not sharp, or not vivid colors?

They are not sharp and very grainy...almost like a brush stroke was applied to it. I have an old Panasonic Lumix something-or-another (about 5 years old probably) that was a 5mp and it doesn't do great in low light, but it was only grainy, not this weird softness...

I can try and post an image, but it's pretty big, not sure what the limitations are on the board...

It's better to post the full sized image elsewhere and a link to it here. The important thing is that the EXIF data is intact, so we can see what settings were used to take the picture. Or you can just read those numbers and type them in here.

Hei!
    I understand your problem.
    I have the F70EXR, too.
    I think the best ist to take photos with:
    P, ISO-Auto400, M (5MPix) Fine, -1/3, DR-AUTO

Forget EXR-AUTO! This Modus take pictures mostly with ISO1600!

With which ISO have you took your pictures?

You can post original pictures here:
    http://tinypic.com/
    Last edited by Tullebukk; 05-04-2010 at 07:01 AM.
    Greetings from Norway

Fuji F70EXR, Ricoh R7, Casio EX-Z80, ex Sony DSC-P100

Ha ha, yes, I've been mostly using EXR auto....I will try those settings. Thanks Tullebukk!

Access this blog, may have the best advice on how to use the F70EXR

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2009...-shoot-it.html

As usual Fuji cameras may take the best pictures, but it's never by using "Auto".
    There is a large learning curve with Fuji cameras. Good Luck!