Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Wink Flash for Olympus e 520

I just got the Olympus FL-36R for my new camera. Very intresting! I have a lot to read up on. The flash has so many features. Why did I wait so long to step up from point and shoots to DSLR's?

I'm hooked now!

Flintlock,

the one flash accessory that is worth buying is the cable for off camera TTL use, FL-CB05. That can be very helpful when doing close up work. Often times when close up the lens is within a few inches of the subject and will cast a shadow even with the flash in the hot shoe. It can also help when shooting through glass to get it to an angle that will not bounce directly back into the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Flintlock,

the one flash accessory that is worth buying is the cable for off camera TTL use, FL-CB05. That can be very helpful when doing close up work. Often times when close up the lens is within a few inches of the subject and will cast a shadow even with the flash in the hot shoe. It can also help when shooting through glass to get it to an angle that will not bounce directly back into the camera.
    Thanks! More stuff to buy!!

Shouldn't the 36R work wirelessly with the E-520? No cable needed?

Raven,

It absolutely does, but that is not the same function. The wireless flash control on Olympus cameras is based on the on camera popup flash mastering the remotes. It uses light (not certain if they use an IR emitter or just a low flash pulse) to communicate. This means you have to have the on camera flash on and the remotes must be in front of the popup and in clear line of sight. With the cable I can hold the FL36R above or below the camera, or behind my head and facing backwards to bounce off a rear wall.

I find the remote feature to be useful, but not always the right answer.

Thanks, obviously I only have pop-up so far. That actually sounds a lot less useful now. I had assumed I could wirelessly move the flash up, down, sideways, over my head etc. Knowing I need a cable to do that sorta makes me no longer want a flash, too many parts!

Raven,

The real wireless benefit starts with your 2nd remote flash. Both can be controlled and set for different values. Olympus can control remote flashes in three separate groups each containing multiple flashes. Two remotes mounted over a small light tent for product shots would be a good use case. Or maybe having a few scattered around a large room for fill lighting. Tough to control more than one remote via cable.

I guess I knew about that part, but I'm much more of a snap-shooter to date than a set-equipment shooter. As in, no flash, no tripod, no light tent, no diffusers, etc. Maybe sometime I'll find something serious I want to do, but for now I literally carry everything I need in my pockets, or don't carry it. Even now, I'm debating if the flash would be worth it, because a flash would take the pocket space of one lens! Hmmm, which to leave behind, 9-18, or 50mm? I don't like either answer, so so far no flash.

Well, the old FL20 is small and would at least give you some flexibility if you added a cable...

I got the FL 36R. I like it!~