Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Upstate NY USA

Post Where to Buy

I have had good luck with Amazon's secondary retailers. Cameta Camera for one has good prices and often good package deals bundling accessories with a main item. IE: tripod with a camera bag or a cleaning kit w/a lens (my case).As I live in NYS I have to pay state sales tax from businesses that have a storefront in the state. I have also bought from buy.com and my DSLR a Nikon D3000 was bought from Electronics Expo. All these from the Amazon Front end.
    Seeing the picture starts the process
    D7100, Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300 Macro, Sigma 17-70 F2.8 Macro,
    Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD 60Th Anniv. ,SB700, Vivitar 383, Manfrotto t-pod, monopod

Another option

Well, two actually.

Ebay is another option to find major etailers stock on the secondary market like Amazon.

Another option is to combine online etailers with online rebates such as bing or ebates and stuff like that...

Orlando, FL
    I too have no problem with gray market which is nothing more than adverse marketing spin given to the identical item coming off the same assembly line. The biggest difference is that they don't have the warranty coverage of the distributor. Essentially, the distributor isn't going to give free repairs to an item they didn't import and profit off of initially. Unfortunately, they also tend to enforce price controls on their authorized dealers, so flip a coin on who you want to buy from.

+1 on B&H and Adorama.

The problem with B&H, Adorama and others the price difference between gray market and distributor is marginal, 5-6%, and further decrease the spead by giving free shipping on the distributor model. You essentially have to weigh warranty vs. no warranty vs. 3rd party warranty. Of course those that are 20+% cheaper, you have to wonder if they kind of fell off the back of a truck - which is what marketing wants you to define all gray market as anyway.

The biggest issue I have is when the retailer is not up front about it. For example, Newegg is a company I would place in the same trusted category as B&H, Adorama, Amazon and others I have purchased from. In fact, most components in this computer I am typing from came from Newegg as I built it. When shopping for a Nikon camera, they had a great price...but, they did not show up on Nikon's list of authorized dealers. I emailed Newegg asking that specific question and included a link to Nikon's authorized dealer page. The simple "Yes" or "No" answer to my email was...
    Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please kindly note that the information you required is not pass to our Customer Service Department. Please contact Nikon for the accurate answer for your concerned.

Ignoring the grammar issue (english may have been a second language based on the respondent's name) kudos for not using canned responces - which are usually off topic anyway, but circular back to the information I already provided them is hardly an answer.
    Last edited by tizeye; 03-24-2010 at 04:22 AM.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.

Christchurch, NZ
    If you buy a camera online wouldn't it make it difficult to resolve problems if you get a fault or something? I always like to be able to deal with someone in person, but I suppose you'll have to pay more for this convenience.
    How To Put Down a Hangi | How To Use Mail Merge Word 2003 | How To Set Up YourExcel Database | How To Use Limewire How To Set It Up, Search and Download Tips

Terra Australis Incognita
    Exactly right Neville.

Of the millions of cameras Nikon, Canon and others make each year, what percentage do you really believe have warranty problems (that they fix under warranty)?

As a society we pay millions of dollars extra for the same product off the same assembly line because we worry we might have a problem with the item and need warranty. It allows both the manufacturer and the small corner store to crank up the prices.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

So Calif
    If you buy a camera online wouldn't it make it difficult to resolve problems if you get a fault or something? I always like to be able to deal with someone in person, but I suppose you'll have to pay more for this convenience.
    The warranty is with the manufacturer, not the retailer (unless they have some agreement).
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)

I guess I know which sites to avoid!

You can go to amazon to have a look.

all good.

x3 to that