Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New DMC-ZS5 and ZS7

I bought myself a DMC-ZS3 for this past Christmas and couldn't be happier with the results. But now I'm totally excited about this new lineup and am already thinking of a family member to pass on my ZS3 to once these new models become available.

I think the one thing that has me this way is strictly cosmetic: I like the new position of the mode dial. The current position always rotates the dial while taking it out of my pocket, and I usually get that "Mode Dial in Incorrect Position" message on the LCD. I also like the new manual mode available, though I'm happy with the stuff the Auto mode has produced on the ZS3.

One thing I hope the new Venus Engine VI has done is stretch the battery life some. It is absolutely horrible if you record a few movies and expect juice left for photos. I am about to buy a second battery just to get me through ONE day of shooting and movie recording. Looks like the new models use the same battery so it's up to the firmware and the processor to make it last. We'll see what Jeff has to say about these once he reviews them.
    Last edited by polvadis; 01-26-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor 50mm f1.8D, Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR. Always looking for creative criticism.
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 P&S.

I was thinking about getting a ZS3 last year, but decided to wait for the 2010 model. By waiting I get manual controls, improved OIS, new Venus HD II processor, SDXC support and GPS. Not bad.

It looks like I'll be upgrading from my TZ3 to a ZS7 this spring.

For those that don't care about the GPS feature, go for the TZ5 with no AVCHD lite though. Or the smaller ZS3-ZX3 with AVCHD Lite but no manual control. Decision, decision.

Quote Originally Posted by louiskam View Post
    For those that don't care about the GPS feature, go for the TZ5 with no AVCHD lite though. Or the smaller ZS3-ZX3 with AVCHD Lite but no manual control. Decision, decision.
    I took a look at the specs on ZR3/ZX3 and thought not bad, until I saw the picture of it. The dial is at the same location (on the edge) like the ZS3/TZ7. It's also missing manual controls like you mentioned. The ZS5/TZ8 is missing AVCHD so that leaves the ZS7/TZ10 with everything I need (or think I need).

I went to Las Vegas 9 years ago with my Olympus C-3000Z and spent almost a day taking pictures before I realized that I didn't turn the internal clock back 3 hours. That won't happen with the ZS7/TZ10 and its automatically adjusting clock feature which uses the GPS receiver to determine the local time. I also sold my Sony camcorder recently which I purchased in 2002 and I need a camera that records good-quality HD video.
    Panasonic DMC-TZ3

Quote Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

One thing I hope the new Venus Engine VI has done is stretch the battery life some. It is absolutely horrible if you record a few movies and expect juice left for photos. I am about to buy a second battery just to get me through ONE day of shooting and movie recording. Looks like the new models use the same battery so it's up to the firmware and the processor to make it last. We'll see what Jeff has to say about these once he reviews them.
    I would imagine that the battery life will be worse on the ZS7 because it will be running gps also. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by htimsda View Post
    I would imagine that the battery life will be worse on the ZS7 because it will be running gps also. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    I just purchased a second battery and a car charger from Amazon. I got left with no battery juice too many times with this camera. It's why I liked AA's so much in my Canon A570, if I ran out I could just get them at the nearest store. But it seems all cameras are going with their proprietary batteries these days.
    Last edited by polvadis; 01-29-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor 50mm f1.8D, Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR. Always looking for creative criticism.
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 P&S.

Quote Originally Posted by polvadis View Post
    I just purchased a second battery and a car charger from Amazon. I got left with no battery juice too many times with this camera. It's why I liked AA's so much in my Canon A570, if I ran out I could just get them at the nearest store. But it seems all cameras are going with their proprietary batteries these days.
    When I bought my TZ3 in 2007, I also got an extra battery right away. I knew two batteries would be necessary to take care of my needs for a "day" of use. That's especially true now that the ZS7 would be my primary digital recording device (still photos & HD video).

I can't wait until its released in April/May. I'm so glad they moved the dial back to the proper location. It's about in the same position as the dial on my TZ3.
    Panasonic DMC-TZ3

The ZS7 seems to come pretty close to exactly what I'm looking for in my next camera.

It wins over the ZS3 because of the manual controls, and beats the ZS5 with higher quality video, stereo mic, and better LCD.

The GPS looks silly, but according to one review you can shut it off and save battery.

Hopefully the picture quality will not disappoint. I can't wait for Jeff's review!

I am waiting for the review of the ZS7 but having read the features on these new Panasonics, I think I would move from Fuji to the ZS7.
    "Unfortunately" I live in Germany and I just checked and saw that the TZ10 (=ZS7) will again only record up to 29:xx min of HD video. And only half that if Quicktime!
    Pretty pathetic!

Does anyone know if this ridiculous limit can somehow be bypassed?
    If not, is the ZS7 available in Europe somewhere? Maybe the UK? I'm not really willing to pay that kind of money for a compact that doesn't allow me to record a video until the disc is full.

Or is the TZ10 intelligent enough to automatically start a new recording when the 29min have been reached? I wouldn't mind two files instead of one, but I would mind having to restart a new recording manually.

You can't purchase the ZS7 in any European country including the UK. So unless you or a family member/friend travels to the US, Canada or Japan, you're out of luck. Maybe you can find an online site that ships to Europe, I don't know if that's possible. I'm not sure if you can switch between NTSC & PAL when recording HD video, probably not.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Dave's review. I have a TZ3 which still works great, but since I sold my 7-year-old Sony camcorder, I've been looking for something to replace it. With my casual video recording needs, a "hybrid" recording device like the ZS7 may just be the ticket.

By the way, if you're wondering about my user name, my mom is German and my oma made dampfnudel every summer we visited her when I was a child in Aschaffenburg, near Frankfurt/M.
    Panasonic DMC-TZ3