Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question 3rd party flash used with Olympus E300

It has been brought to my attention and affirmed in an article I read that has led me to this forum that - one has to be careful with the level of trigger voltage when 3rd party flash units are used with DSLRs. I have been using the following two flash units with my Olympus E300 for the past four years.

Metz60CT-1 Trigger voltage around 21V
    Panasonic PE-3067 Trigger voltage 10.5 V

I use a generic Electra hotshoe sync adapter to provide a nipple for the sync cable from the Metz and the Panasonic fits directly onto the hot shoe.

Am I on safe ground continuing this way with my Olympus E300 or should I look to a different way of triggering with say the pop up flash acting as a slave to trigger the main flash units hooked to sync eye unit?

At 10.5V the Panasonic is probably safe, but that Metz might kill the camera one day. There is a Wein adapter that provides a safe buffer.

Thank you Kgosden for your prompt reply. Before doing anything further on this I decided to test the voltages myself with my trusty voltmeter and found to my joy that the Metz sync cable open position voltage is only 10.5V and that for the National Panasonic is 6V. So I am not going to worry any further and just carry on as usual. Thanks for your input.

I would worry that your volt meter might not be responsive enough to measure what is likely a very short burst of high voltage. A $30 safe flash buffer seems like cheap insurance.