Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: D5000 or D3000?

D5000 or D3000?

Hi All,

I am new to SLR. I am not sure wether to buy D3000 or D5000 as cost varies a lot.
    I was good quality pictures (10 mpixel is ok for me).
    I do not want blurr picture just like the pictures in the following link:

I will be using this to capture family potrais during family functions and kids playing around....indoor pictures
    beaches, waves at beaches, swimming photos in pool or at beach...
    I think both the cameras are good with still photos....

I am looking for anti blurr pictures...of moving subjects...as i mentioned above..

please check the attached sample indoor photo...which is of not so good quality....
    which camera should i use to get good quality photos

will the lens "18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens - Nikon" with D3000 gives what I want

do I need to go for D5000 with the same lens "18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens - Nikon"
    or do I need to go for any other lens....

please suggest me...

Both cameras will do the job the two lenses you refer to are the same so they will work equally well on either camera.
    IMO the D5000 is overpriced (at least here in Australia). If I were buying I would be choosing between the D3000 and the D90 which is way better than the D5000 for only a small amount more money.

If many of your photos are indoors in low light then you should also buy an external flash like a SB600. they are much more powerful than the inbuilt flash and will help get the results that you are after.

Upstate NY USA

D3K or5K

I would choose the D3000 especially if you are new at using a DSLR. I recently did so and while I haven't had a chance to shoot much with it (In hand less than 24 hrs). It is very easy to use and the "guide" mode is very helpful for a DSLR newbie, me . 11 point 3d AF mode is also helpful when shooting photos of active people;ie Children at play. The D5000 has some nice features, live mode and rotating LCD, but I wonder of those features justify the cost difference, around $200 here in the US, depending on where you look. Good Luck on finding what you need, hope we are helpful here.
    Seeing the picture starts the process
    D7100, Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300 Macro, Sigma 17-70 F2.8 Macro,
    Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD 60Th Anniv. ,SB700, Vivitar 383, Manfrotto t-pod, monopod

Milwaukee, WI
    I just picked up the D3000 as well. If you will get some use out of a movie mode, then pick up the D5000. The other thing to consider is live view. Otherwise, I think the D3000 will suit you fine.

You might want to look into picking up a 35mm or 50mm lens for either one. If shooting inside or taking portraits, the quality of these lenses are GREATLY improved over the 18-55 kit lens. The 35mm DX f/1.8G is an autofocus lens that will work well on both models, and only costs around $200 online.

You can get the D3000 and the 35mm f1.8 for the same price as the D5000.

Edit: Added I picture I took tonight with the D3000 and 18-55mm kit lens.