Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

begininng student needs printer <$

My dear daughter needs a photoprinter for beginning DSLR class. She's shooting with a Sony A200, 18-70mm lens. PC platform. Can any of you give a recomendation or two for a reasonable photo printer w/ 8x10 max size?

Looks like she uses Mac at the college and we have PC's at home. My understanding it's Cannon or epson. Does one work better for PC's? A few in class mentioned epson nx series but they are using Mac's at home.

If you can help me with the # of color cartridges, I'd appreciate.

of course, this is on a shoe string budget. She's already broke the bank (mine)

Thank you in advance, Brian

I use HP Photosmart. Mine is as older one. Mine is also a only a printer, not an all in one. I am happy with the quality of the prints.
    Panasonic FZ20, Kodak DC4800, Canon SD850 for when I don't want to carry a camera
    http://JLVACCARO.4T.COM

Why would one work better for PC or Mac? It's an operating system. It has no bearing on what quality output the printer has as long as the printer has a driver for that OS. You'd struggle to find one with no Windows driver so you're fine.

Also, printers are cheap. Ink is expensive, and for photos you use a lot of it. If you're on a tight budget you'll want to look into compatible cartridges probably as the manufacturers cartridges can set you back as much as a cheap printer.

It'll give better quality and be cheaper if she orders prints online or gets them printed at a local shop. But if she really needs a home printer then you can't go too wrong with Epson, Canon, or HP - I have an Epson all in one printer and it's served me well. Avoid Lexmark like the plague if they're still in business. Tried three of their printers, not one worked.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

I got a great deal on a refurbished Epson R800, which is the same as the R1800 but max paper width is 8 1/2 in, just what you need. It makes beautiful color prints. Check out the Epson site for what they have in stock.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Hi,
    According to me.you should go with the Epson R800.Because it has following nice features,
    1. Epson Stylus Photo R800
    2. Power cable
    3. Eight inks Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Red, Blue. Matte Black, Photo Black and Gloss Optimizer
    4. CD/DVD printing tray
    5. Roll paper holders
    6. 210mm Cardboard tube (for roll paper media)
    Last edited by davidsmiths; 11-11-2009 at 11:06 PM.

thnks you for your assistance

I wound up ordering our daughter the Epson artisan 800(laster years model).
    it takes 6 cartriges and the price seemed good, too.
    $150 form Epson and free shipping.

They just had the new one(artisan 810) for the same but I dragged my feet too long and it went to $200, now it's $300

Ahain, thank you all, -Brian

thnks you for your assistance

I wound up ordering our daughter the Epson artisan 800(laster years model).
    it takes 6 cartriges and the price seemed good, too.
    $150 form Epson and free shipping.

They just had the new one(artisan 810) for the same but I dragged my feet too long and it went to $200, now it's $300

Again, thank you all, -Brian

I used epson for years, i recently switched to Hp printers. I find the quality of the printer is better.