Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gf-1

Those last three are very cool!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Those last three are very cool!
    yeah very good

those are some gorgeous shots daniel!
    Nikon D7000 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G | Nikon SB-700 | Gitzo 0531

I have a few questions regarding these Micro-Four-Thirds quasi-SLR cameras, specifically, the Panasonic GF1, G1 and the GH1...

Does Panasonic offer any GPS marking metadata for photos as they are taken?

Does this Micro-Four-Thirds technology really lend itself to serious pro photography? (I've never owned an SLR before, but if I did get one, I'd be using it for outdoor sports and wildlife photography, for both daytime and twilight)

Has anyone really used the AVCHD movie-shooting features of any of these cameras? What about using the footage on a Mac? What did you think?

Anyone tried shooting with one of these babies in winter (snowy) venues? How did it perform?

Anyone tried shooting using a remote control?

What kind of telephoto (10x or higher) options are available?

What are the largest memory cards you've used in one of these cameras?

How easy are these cameras to learn how to use?

--TIA

Canlympus

Thanks very much everyone, I hope more of you will share your shots here also

Canlympus,

As of the moment I don't think Panasonic offers any GPS in their micro 4/3s cameras. You can check around Flickr for GF-1 shots, I think you will find that a lot of pros use it as their back up body. I haven't tried shooting videos or using a remote with it nor do I live in a place with winter so I can't comment on those 3 issues. As for telephotos, well there are a couple of lenses that might interest you - the 14-140mm and the 45-200mm lenses. These are not fast teles but from the images I've seen being shot by it and posted around the net, I'd say these lenses are pretty good. Should you want to go wide then there is the really good 7-14mm lens. I've used a 16gb card with no problems so I pressume a 32gb card will work just as well. The Panasonic is an easy camera to learn and use. The menu system is pretty straight forward.

I mostly shoot with the 20mm pancake lens but occasionally I use the kit lens -14-45mm

20mm

14mm shot

shot handheld with the 14-45 mm kit lens @ ISO 800

Last edited by danielg; 04-21-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Canlympus,

Danielg covered many of your questions. But in addition to danielg's response, I'd like to comment on a couple of your questions (not really answering them). Pro photography is a very large field including sports photography, landscape, etc. I suppose this camera would not be one of choice for action sports due to the relatively low frame rates. You'd probably want to mate that with a fast lens. With limited lenses available, again, this would probably not be a consideration for that particular type of photography. However, with a larger than the run of the mill point and shoot sensors, you do achieve better resolution, sensitivity, et cetera. As with many things, knowing your camera, it's capabilities and limitations, producing fantastic images with this camera should not be a handicap. I've suprized myself and others many occasions with my point and shoot Fuji F31fd - mostly stills and landscape. Understand that this camera (seemingly to me) fills the niche of the traveller in mind with heavier than average understanding of how to produce an image - me included. For what it is, I think Panasonic did an incredible job. I'm not clear what you ask about snowy weather. Is this a white balance problem or is this geared toward cold climate conditions in general? For easness of use, test drive one. Every manufacturer has its own interface and you only need to learn how to navigate through it once. As for wetting your feet with something like this, I can't provide any input as I learned in the days of b/w film with my trusty Nikon FM2.

Danielg, thanks for the images. I'm still on the fence about making the decision on this camera. Due to the recent firmware update, I'm awaiting further review on the Olympus E-PL1 before I make my final decision.

Cheers,
    Billy

Back again!

Thanks for the interesting replies!

My winter question was geared at what an SLR photog would do with his/her gear in a cold climate. I occasionally shot at snowy, very cold winter outside events. When I shoot those, it's mostly video but I've done some (point-and-shoot) stills as well. I'm usually outside all day or at least for long periods. I'm interested in how one of these Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras would behave in that situation. (I usually wear a full winter work suit during those events, and hang my cameras/camcorders around my neck, keeping them inside the suit when not shooting to keep them warm.)

Shooting wildlife with an SLR or Micro Four Thirds camera would be especially appealing to me. Some of the best wildlife sightings (and thus prospective shots) seem to occur at dawn and dusk, or before a storm. That seems to be when some species (deer, bear, porcupine, etc.) move around. Point-and-shoot cams simply are not adequate in low light.