Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I do enough welding that i don't need the extra abuse of a flash..lol

So ... the trend is toward the CZ 85mm f/1.4? Hmmm ... it is truly tempting.

I was also considering the SONY 35mm f/1.4 G ... but, my lens coverage around that range is pretty deep (w/ 50mm f/1.4 and 20 f/1.8). I am a little leaner with telephoto/wide aperture. The CZ 135mm f/1.8 is my only true low light solution. On the A700 ... it seems a little long (eff. 200mm). You can only capture so much.

The TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di is okay ... but, noticeably better with a flash, as you would expect. Focus speed ... forget it. Even with it's LIMIT switch, it is a still a MACRO.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I hear those 2 CZ primes are a good bit faster on the A900 body. They're more bearable since they are really heavy pieces of glass!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Oh, don't kid yourself ... the A700 makes that 135mm f/1.8 sing like a Nightengale! It is a terrific indoor lens for athletics/gymnastics ... because of the added advantage of the "crop" to 200mm
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Who's kidding who, here? I don't count the "crop to 200mm" as an advantage.
    I mean to say you can get exactly the same image from the A900 in crop mode but why would you?
    And shove a 200mm lens on the A900; it's clearly not the same as the 135mm on the A700.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the A700; it's been my intro to the DSLR and I love it but without rose tinted specs. I recognise the shortcomings and won't be truly happy till I have a 900.
    Don't let me turn you off the 85mmCZ either, I'm sure it's a great lens. But if you want my advice it will have an A and a 900 in the answer.

Question When to say "when"

Wow ... I feel an upgrade may have to take place, here ... although I kind wish I could get something EXTRA from the A900 ... other than a wider spread on the sub-50mm lenses and more bytes consumed by each image. That $2699 is still a lot more than I am ready to plop down. That's a $1000 more than I had planned on, even at the extreme. Plus, there still is that added expense of the Vertical Grip and flash assist module (about $400 combined, bring the total to $3099 ... conservatively).

Well ... the next few weeks will let me know where this is heading .... there's no rush. Still, I may get more overall return from the CZ 85mm f/1.4 in the bigger picture (pun intended). I was considering the CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 ... but, the TAMRON SP AF 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD still does a good enough job to disqualify the expense and. let's face it, I am not selling these images. Even SONY is adopting the TAMRON 28-75 SAM as their "kit" lens for the new camera that is coming.

No, for pure speed of focus and the widest aperture (low light and bokeh) ... the CZ 85mm f/1.4 lens would seem to be clear choice ... and usable on EVERY SONY DSLR camera body. There is no compromise with this digital lens. It simply is at the the top of its game. The zooms can wait. I have them covered. Some PRIMES ... can be improved upon. MACROs are rarely "walk around" lenses. Just too slow to focus and the darn shot is lost. The MACRO mission is entirely different just sit still and get the shot. With the CZ ... turn, point ... ZING ... fire! Yes, you pay for that kind of response. It's hard not to get a snappy focus when you are looking through an f/1.4 aperture.

Remember (for you new folks reading this): The base aperture of the lens (in this case, f/1.4) is what the camera uses to initially focus with no matter what aperture setting you have chosen for the shot. It is not until you actually depress the shutter release all the way down that the aperture iris closes down to your camera's aperture setting and takes the image.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-28-2009 at 09:35 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Don, if you are considering the A900 (and you should) don't forget to factor in the resale on the A700 which is still fetching a good price, at least it is here in the UK; the equivelent of $1000.

I suppose, but then what would I have for a backup? The A100? Hmmm ... sounds a bit retro

flickr & Sdi

Sacrifices have to be made in the name of progress.
    Retro? I'm decidedly Retro! Are you casting aspersions?

Nah ... just feeling ... exposed?

flickr & Sdi