Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Olympus Stylus 1050SW & 8GB card?

I have a Stylus 1050 SW - waterproof camera with an 8GB card.
    I got it to 8GB via an MASD-1 Micro SD to XD adapter.
    I formatted the card in the camera with no problem. It seems to recognize the extra space, but when I try to use the movie mode at 30fps and VGA resolution it only records for ten seconds and stops. I can start it again but ten seconds seems to be the maximum clip I can take.
    When I put in a normal XD card @ 2GB I can use the video mode until it fills up.
    What the heck is going on?

xD cards only go up to 2G, so I'm pretty sure your camera can't address the additional space above 2G. I don't think it's a great idea to use a memory card that is bigger than the camera can read/write. Can you write more than 2G of data to the card?

As to the 10 sec limit that sounds like the card combination isn't able to write out data fast enough to keep up with the video mode on your camera. You're just filling up the buffer and writing it out. It may be the adapter is the limiting factor with respect to speed.

I Googled it - it is a limitation Olympus puts on their cameras when you use a non-Olympus card.

This camera has a date with eBay. I dumped Sony for their ten minute limit on videos.

Olympus does stupid stuff like that. You can get around it by writing out some stuff to the memory card if you want to go that route. You'd have to look up the specifics online.