Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scanner For 35mm slides?

Hey guys...

I'm considering buying a scanner for digitising around 2000+ mounted 35mm slides. I got a local quote for 70 per slide, copied to DVD, plus $2 per disc for as many as are req.

I'm sure not gonna spend $1600 doing this, so I thought it'd make sense to buy my own scanner.

This baby seems to fit the bill:

Canon 5600F Canoscan

Any opinions one way or the other? Is this unit good, bad, indifferent? Is 4 slides per scan OK or too tedious?

Or should I buy a dedicated slide/negative scanner? The 5600F is around $220 here in Aus.

TIA for any thoughts.

Well, first off that is a horrible price. The best deal, and quite well reviewed from everyone, is www.scancafe.com. They are as low as $0.29 per slide. They are based in India and seem to be highly reliable.

Scanning them your self sure sounds good. However, it will take you up to 6 months to do 2000 slides including cleaning them up. Of course, if you have no other job or life you might get done in a few months. A few years ago I did several hundred using my Minolta scanner. It was a 3 month process. Four at a time is only part of the problem. That many slides meant a lot of different emulsions and color shifts over time to correct. I think the actual scanning time, including dusting, mounting, setting exposure profiles, final scan and removal from the carrier ran about 15-20 minutes for each group of 4. I would not figure on more than 20 per hour.

As Kgosden says it is a very long process - cleaning and loading the sides doing a prescan then a scan. I have a minolta scan dual II or something. I only did half a dozen and gave up!

I also saved at a high resolution which takes up a lot of disc space.

But then saying that would you be happy posting your slides away somewhere; I would be happy driving them some where but not posting them half way around the world.

One thing to think about if doing them yourself is the slide mounts. I have my fathers old slides and the ones in the cardboard mounts fit the slide holder but the ones in the plastic mounts do not.

Flipping a coin maybe?

Thanks guys...

Unfortunately, Scancafe won't take on work outside continental USA, so I'm stuck with 70 per slide downunder if I wanna get somebody else do do it.

I've been having second thoughts about the Canon scanner, and I'm now checking out the Epson V500.

Time-wise, I'm retired, so I've got all the time in the world... well, you know what I mean hehe.

Cheers

I scan slides for a business and live in Aus. I don't charge much less than that.

It works out to about $20 AUD per hour even with a professional scenner. Their quoted price isn't a get rich scheme in case you were worried. Of course at 70c each I'm doing basic colour correction and individually cleaning each slide. Not just scanning your slides on auto in your carousel like some companies do.

I think it'd be against forum rules to link to my business site so I wont'. If you're retired do it yourself, if time is money pay me
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Slow 'n' steady...

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    .....I think it'd be against forum rules to link to my business site so I won't. If you're retired do it yourself, if time is money pay me
    Thanks DPR...

Without getting all sentimental [] about it I checked out your site, but as you suggest, as I've got nothing better to do with my time it doesn't concern me how long it takes me to scan my slides. Six months or a year... it's all the same.

Cheers

PS: Excellent pricing for slide scanning - cheaper than anybody else I could find!
    Last edited by Beowulff; 04-05-2009 at 07:36 AM.

At the time I set up my business I was caring for my 2 disabled boys and so stuck home with plenty of time (between nappy changes, feeds and doctors appoints) and low income. So the price reflects that I was part time doing it more for spending cash and ego needs rather than a straight out profit motive. As you know colour correction and stuff involves staring at the screen a bit and so whilst you try and respect peoples privacy you do need to look at the photos. It was a bit of living vicariously too, interesting to see foreign holidays and the like from the 1950's to today.

Oh if you email me I'll send you a link to a reasonable site with instructions (in case it didn't come up on your google). I can't pm you as you've got it turned off on this site.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Hey again Beowulff!

I too am retired and like so many others have thousands of 35mm slides that I'm converting over to digital format. The price of professional services also turned me off as well and would NEVER mail off a lifetime collection of images anywhere. No way. I got the Canon 8800F which is just a step up from the 5600F you were originally considering. I can tell you that it works quite well and I'm more than pleased with the results.

However, as others have remarked this is going to take time but as a retired person I've got more time than money!!! (LOL), so doing it myself at my own pace and tweaking the results as "I" would like the final image to be is the best way to go IMHO. I'm doing about 25 a day and at that pace this gets me 750 per month. I figure a total of 3 to 4 months at this comfortable pace will pretty much get the job done for me.

This is also an incredibly good scanner for a lot of other projects as well. Good luck in whatever option you select and do let us all know what you decided!

Also, Amazon.com has the Canon 5600F for $129 USD which is about $179 AUD . . . and the 8800F for $179 USD which is about $248 AUD.

Thanks so much for that info Dark Cobra... particularly your per day timing figures. I'll check out the 8800F as well. Like you, I don't mind if it takes months to finish. Keeps me off the streets LOL. Will let you know what I decide upon. Cheers