Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Best Rechargeable AA batteries and charger ?

Hi guys. I have the Canon A590 which uses AA batteries. I use this camera during traveling, so I need quality batteries. So I'm wondering, which rechargeable AA battery is currently the best in terms of performance and duration of use before a recharge is needed. And which charger is currently the best? Thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum.

Did you read any of the threads below this? Especially the one just below this? Good information on a topic well-covered already.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Sssssssanyo...

In a word..... Eneloops.

Check 'em out HERE.

Cheers

Any AA rechargeables of the type known as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) Low Self Discharge, sold under the brands of Sanyo Eneloop (as Beowulf says), Uniross Hybrio, GP Recyko amongst others. Often advertised as "pre-charged rechargeable". These will typically hold over 80% of their charge for over a year.

Standard NiMH, while sometimes having higher absolute capacity, can lose half their charge in a month or two, and be totally flat after 3-4 months. They can be good if you're planning a mega all day shoot of hundreds of shots and charge them up the night before, but for travel, with a few dozen shots per day spread over weeks, low self discharge is the way to go.

what's a good moderate priced smart charger? Is there one in the $30-$40 range? I checked out some smart chargers and they seem pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by caunyd View Post
    what's a good moderate priced smart charger? Is there one in the $30-$40 range? I checked out some smart chargers and they seem pretty expensive.
    Get a Powerex MH-C9000 they are the best around, will last forever and are worth every penny. Spend the money on a decent charger and you will save money on not having to replace batteries as often.

BTW Eneloops are the battery to get as already advised and yes you should have looked at previous threads in this section because the same advice is repeated in virtually every one of them.

Maha seems to be the only recommended smart charger. Do you guys have any other recommendations for other smart charger brands?

The C9000 that K1W1 recommended is hands down the best consumer charger/analyzer available now. The only other one (w/ analyzer) that I'm aware of, is the La Crosse BC-900.

Go to Battery University and do your homework. It'll save you money and frustration. There are several decent less expensive smart chargers out there, but you would be better off taking the advice offered to invest in the good charger/analyzer (C9000) and then add a smaller, less expensive smart charger for travel, etc.

If your use of rechargeables is limited to 4 cells for your camera, then it is probably overkill. Many people use them more and more and with the newer LSD cells available, they are practical for many more uses than before. Those that have used 'standard' NiMH cells in the past and been frustrated with them would be well served to try LSD cells again.