Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question CoolScan III, VueScan and Win XP

I am trying to use VueScan 8.4.82 (un-registered) and a CoolSCAN III on windows XP

The Scanner is found no problem on Windows XP (I installed all the relevant drivers etc)

However when I try to use VueScan to scan slides I get the error

‘The Scanner Is not Ready -Insert Film Into Scanner',

The VueScan software can recognize the scanner (as LS-30)

I have tried turning the slide every possible way in the slot, turning on and off the scanner, restarting VueScan with the slide inserted but still no luck.

Has anyone had a similar problem? or even better has anyone a solution ?

Do I need to register the VueScan SW to get it to scan ?

Is there other scanning sw I could use?

One thing to note is that I bough the scanner on eBay and the seller sold it with the condition that they did not know if it was working or not (they did not have the SCSI cable). When turned on the green LED flashes and then goes solid.

Are there any other checks I can do to make sure the scanner is basically working correctly?

Thanks for your time.

L for lemon?

Considering the following.....

Quote Originally Posted by por View Post

.....One thing to note is that I bought the scanner on eBay and the seller sold it with the condition that they did not know if it was working or not.
    ..... I think you're checking this scenario out the wrong way around by (apparently) assuming the scanner is actually working. I'm thinking you need to get it to a Nikon service agent for testing before worrying about software and operating systems etc.

It sounds as though you've tried all the logical options to get this thing to work, so according to Occam's razor, the scanner is in all probability inoperative/broken/stuffed/ratshit.

Sorry.

What about scanning using the supplied Nikon software or downloading the proper software from the Nikon download page.

Why complicate the situation with 3rd party software like Vuescan.

If you have photoshop are any similar it'll often drive a scanner also but as I never bother perhaps you'd need a pluggin.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61

go to the bottom of the page for Nikon scan.
    10D, 20D, 30D 1D MKII N
    300mm IS f4, 35-350 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 24-70L, 50mm 1.4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 18-200 OS, Tamron 180 macro, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tokina 50-135 2.8