Hi Elisha.

Yes, it's a rubber hood, and it is so low-pro because it is a collapsible rubber hood in it's compacted state. You can open it up into a standard hood (somewhat like an accordian action) and spring it back down into a nice small ring like you see in my pictures. It works well as a front edge protector also such as whenever you set the camera on a table and it rests on the lens.

They're not more than $5 in any mom & pop's camera shop. I've also seen them in Ritz Camera (Wolf's/Kit's/etc.) and on Amazon for roughly the same price.