Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

printer recommendation needed

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a good quality printer to print out my own prints up to 13x19's for marketing. I was getting my prints at a local lab but they recently changed machines and the print quality is no longer acceptable. I usually need the prints on short notice so mail order really isn't an option. I'm looking at Canon and Epson printers in the $400 and up range and was wondering what kind of experience people have with these printers. I've heard that Epsons have a problem with the ink clogging. I'd like to stay away from HP as I've had a lot of trouble with my current HP printer. (It's been replaced 4 times so far under warranty). I'm looking for something that is going to give excellent quality prints with accurate color. I'd sure appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    taz4short

Your price range may not give you the quality you seek.
    Right now the Epson R1900 and the Canon Pro9000 would be the main contenders. Both have had excellent reviews. I have read the same complaints about clogging and excessive ink use for the Epson. If you can find some place to see them in action you could make a decision on what you see.

Do not forget to consider ink and paper costs, if you print 13 X 19 often, it could cost quite a bit in the end.

What price range do you figure for quality prints? I don't know much about the better printers. According to Epson and HP for instance, you can get museum quality prints on a printer priced under $1,000. Although, I'm staying away from HP as I haven't had good luck at all with my last one.
    Most of the printsf I sell are 5x7 and 8x10. I do larger prints on request as I can't really afford to keep that much inventory and it's really difficult to display at craft markets due to limited space. I do, however, want to get into panorama prints so something that prints up to 8" x 24" would be nice.
    Thanks