Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Unable to format new 4 GB SD

I am unsure how to format my new Transcend 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Card (Model TS4GSD133). I have Windows Vista OS and the text prompt repeatedly pops up with an error message proclaiming that it is unable to be formatted.

I downloaded the Panasonic SDFormatter V2.0.0.3 first, but it gave me an error that stated that it could not format the memory card.

I was also able to successfully download a partition manager program (Partition Manager (Personal) 7.0), unfortunately I got an error that stated that I have an unknown windows version followed by another pop up error stating that there is a DPMI error. Any suggestions on how I can correct this problem as well as my first?

Thank you for your time.

Does the card have the little "lock" switch on the side?

Don't know anything about the second problem, sorry.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

It should already be usable out of the box.

Have you tried to format it in the camera? Most people format in the camera, because then it will generate the necessary files and folders used for operation.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Unhappy This sucks

I have tried both positions for the "lock" just to see if the sticker was placed wrong. I also tried using the camera It refuses to even identify that it is there, it completely bypasses it. I'm thinking Transcend sold me a bad card...ugh...because my old 512 MB one works fine. Well, thank you for the help.

Vader, try formatting it in your PC. If it doesn't work you may have a fake card. I bought one off ebay and had the same problem,it waas labeled as a 4GB, but when I tried to record video for all four gigs, it froze the cam. Once I bought a genuine 4GB card from Best Buy all was well.
    The ebay seller refunded me the money since he says he was scammed as well.

This kind of stinks, I ordered it directly from Newegg.com and I have been trying to format it through my PC since the beginning. I have been through the Transcend website many times, I guess it's time to use my warranty for what it was meant to be used for.

Is the card SD or SDHC? There is a difference and it is important.

If the card is SDHC do you have an SDHC compatible card reader?

What FAT system are you trying to format the card with (FAT16, FAT32 or NTSC)?

I believe that SD tops out at 2GB, so a 4GB card would be SDHC. Unless your card reader and camera support SDHC, then they wouldn't be able to use this 4GB card. What camera do you have? Card reader?

Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schnoor View Post
    I believe that SD tops out at 2GB, so a 4GB card would be SDHC.
    Pretec manufactures non-HC 4GB SD cards. While they work in some older non-HC compatible devices, they sometimes refuse to work with SDHC devices (e.g. Panasonic cameras) showing only 1GB free space or not working at all.

http://www.pretec-europe.com/en/inde...?/en/SD-en.htm
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schnoor View Post
    I believe that SD tops out at 2GB, so a 4GB card would be SDHC.
    No there are several brands of 4GB SD cards available but they are rare which is why it's important to know exactly what the OP has.