Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Ricoh GX-200

Ricoh GX-200

A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

The old problem?

Unfortunately I think the reviewer has got a bit overexcited about the GX200's professional build quality and excellent LCD. Most other reviewers of the GX200 have noted what they consider to be excessive noise in a camera of this potential and price bracket. As per Trusted Reviews:
    ... From ISO 400 and over image noise spoils the pictures. ISO 400 is gritty but usable, but 800 and 1600 are frankly abysmal - amongst the worst I've seen.

... It's the imaging aspect that's a disappointment though, and really lets the camera and Ricoh's ambitions down. The 12MP sensor and processing combination is frankly poor.

... In fact I question the wisdom of such densely populated sensors on compact cameras. The small pixels are bound to produce more noise and processing will only get you so far.
    I can certainly understand the (possible) noise issues with 12MP on a 1/1.7" sensor, bearing in mind my Fuji has a "mere" 9MP on a larger 1/1.6" sensor.

The consensus seems to be that it's an ergonomically excellent, well designed and built camera that's let down by its image quality. Which at the end of the day is really any camera's raison d'Ítre surely?

And at over AUS$800 it just can't compete with entry-level dSLRs on a bang-per-buck basis.

Cheers

It seems he was more

excited about the image quality. Also mentioned that high ISO at 1600 was pretty much useless and that he'd prefer shots at ISO 200 and under. But what the GX does at those ISO's are probably overall better than the rest of the lot out there.

"Unfortunately I think the reviewer has got a bit overexcited about the GX200's professional build quality and excellent LCD. Most other reviewers of the GX200 have noted what they consider to be excessive noise in a camera of this potential and price bracket"
    Currently writing for www.AlphaMountWorld.com