Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Panasonic G1 price

I see that the price for the new G1 is going to be $800 and $350 for the long lens. I was really interested in this camera. It would be just what I have been looking for, but that price is way too expensive. Come on Panasonic!! I can buy a Oly E 420 1 lens kit for $500 and the long kit lens for $ 280. $780 against $1150? Ain't gonna happen!

Panasonic, if you read these forums, read this: Get real or get out. You make good stuff; i really liked the FZ50, but you ain't that good.

Unhappy UK Pricing

Here it will be 599 with the kit lens,at first anyway.There is a 50 cashback incentive for the dealers to use but its still a lot of money-and no movie mode.

I was hoping for a FZ60 but that does now look increasingly unlikely.For me to be interested I would look at the likely next camera in this range due in 2009 which will supposedly have a movie mode and pair it with the to be released 14-140 lens.However I guess that will be even more expensive so I think I will be hanging onto my FZ50 for the moment.

Canon 60D,
    Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM,
    Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon Speedlite 270EX

Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3,
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6

Agreed. That price structure does not work for me. It's not so significantly different from my E510 to make me consider it. It would be a sideways and expensive move.

Yes the price certainly would put me off too. Seems to me that Panasonic are pricing it so that sales will be modest at first & only to dedicated people then when they have their production stocks up and hopefully a good reputation for the camera they can drop the price ahead of bringing out the version with HD video. Just look at what happened to the L10 price ahead of the G1 launch for a while it plummeted to a real bargain for a cam with a Leica lens.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Hopefully the Olympus version, although a significantly different form factor will be less. What interests me is the dual core processor and the new EVF in the G1. There's a lot of new tech in that camera. But the price has me taking a second look at the FZ28.

DMC-G1 not much better than DMC-FZ28

I have owned the dmc-fz10 for five years now. The camera performs better than many of my friends entry level dslr models. My only complaint is that it performs poorly in low light. I was hoping the G1 would solve this but without HD video than I might as well go with the fz28and wait for the G2. I have seen the fz28 priced under $250 this week. Tempting.

Its Coming Down UK Buyers...

But not exactly a hot deal.Jessops are now marketing it with the kit lens at 499.99 including the 50 cashback.An online dealer I have not used Simply Electronics are advertising it for 459.95 plus delivery.If you buy the 45-200at the same time it can be bought for 164.99 (Jessops).

Not a bargain exactly but at such an early stage in its marketing its encouraging.Perhaps market forces will make sure it drifts down to affordable levels.

Canon 60D,
    Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM,
    Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon Speedlite 270EX

Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3,
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6