Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: D50 to D90

Question D50 to D90

I have a D50 now and love it.... But is it worth getting rid of for the new D90?

Yes, but it depends on what you need.

That's a pretty empty question.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

In terms of feature sets the answer would be yes. The bigger question is what will the D90 do that you cannot accomplish with the D50. And if there is a requirement(s) that the D90 can fill is it then worth the monetary difference? Answer those questions and you could very well be on your way to a new D90 or some extra money to fulfill another NAS asset! hth
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Uh... a screaming yes?
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

A D50 is not going to be worth very much so why "get rid of it"?

I think the age of conspicuous consumerism has ended at least temporarily with the goings on on Wall St so really the questions that you need to answer now are;

Is my current camera faulty or unreliable?
    Is my current camera unable to produce the images that I want because of limitations in the camera?
    Can I afford to upgrade in the light of the current uncertain economic climate?

Climate! No we can't add to global warming! It's time to invent a global refrigerator!
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

The d50 does what I like, But would like the extra megapixals and the frames per sec. The other features that the 90 has I'm not to sure of? can't find a place to compare the 50 to the 90.

That's because they're not close in their intended usage. They're very different. I would recommend you do some serious research before ponying up any cash, or just continue with what you've got until you know you need something different.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by steelersfanincal View Post
    The d50 does what I like, But would like the extra megapixals and the frames per sec. The other features that the 90 has I'm not to sure of? can't find a place to compare the 50 to the 90.
    Why? What would more megapixels gain YOU? Do crop the hell out of your pictures? I can understand wanting more FPS, but megapixels and FPS arent reasons for upgrading when you yourself say, you are pleased with your current camera.

I wont tell you how to spend your money, but look at it this way, what can you do with a D90 that you cant do with a D50? If you struggle to find an answer, then there is no reason to upgrade.

Theres really no reason to compare the 2 bodies side-by-side, as the D90 would blow it away now but that doesnt mean you need to upgrade if youre happy. The D50 is a wonderful camera!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

I upgraded from a D50 - and I can tell the D-Lighting in the D90 is awesome. Indoor and low light pics are much better - and easier because you have the ability to control the flash/lighting much more which is one thing the d50 lacked. As far as speed goes - yes the d90 is much quicker. But I have found in if I take pics with the d50 in auto mode and then take the same picture with the D90 in Auto mode...... the D90 takes a sharper more stunning image straight from the camera with no editing.
    It does take some getting used the menus and submenus with the D90 - it is much more advanced. The LCD display size and sharpness far surpasses the D50. I always liked my D50 - but I am happy I upgraded. I have to disagree with the above post that said the d50 is not worth anything - Good used bodies/kits are still bringing decent money on ebay.