Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Got that! - also found a similar description elswhere (Steves Digicams Forum). ~ press the centre button and the square turns blue - then use the roller to scroll through options - So I understand how to move the spot focus box - but couldn't move the Flex point focus cross - I assume it's simple once you find it??
    Rob - glad UR happy with the camera - if you have any questions I am sure one of us should be able to help. I think I have most of it sorted - just that focus mode business tripped me up.
    Geoff
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

apologies if I'm repeating, but this may help...

press the centre button and the current focus icon turns blue
    - roll the wheel to change to a different focus type (large area, flex point, spot point)

or

- use the arrow keys to choose a box (flex) or move the spot
    Konica Minolta A200
    Canon A570IS

I'm really glad I have that sorted now.
    In Spot you canmove the rectangles to your desired point - but in Flex Point (with the little cross) I assume it's fixed?
    Now I will go and put my Exposure area back to wide (256) area.

Ah yes, you're right. The "spot area" is the box, and the flex point is the point. But the point is not fixed. The box can be selected from the 11 choices, but the flex point can also move as you please.

And note that the exposure spot meter can be synched/linked to the flex point so when you move the latter, the former moves with it (the spot meter doesn't move around on its own). This is done via the menus.
    Konica Minolta A200
    Canon A570IS

Quote Originally Posted by Rob vdKam
    Ah yes, you're right. The "spot area" is the box, and the flex point is the point. But the point is not fixed. The box can be selected from the 11 choices, but the flex point can also move as you please.

And note that the exposure spot meter can be synched/linked to the flex point so when you move the latter, the former moves with it (the spot meter doesn't move around on its own). This is done via the menus.
    Ok - so how do you move the flex point?? Or does it move itself.

The flex point is moved the same way you choose a different box in spot area mode - just use the four-way buttons while the icon is blue. I just tried it and it works fine for me. Note that you press Shift/Centre button to return to the centre of the screen.

I wouldn't expect to use this, of course, unless on a tripod and having time to compose.

Regards
    Konica Minolta A200
    Canon A570IS

Yeah - it all works. Thanks Rob for your clear instructions.
    No more frustrating beeps as it focuses on the wrong bit of the picture.
    It also seems a tad faster in Flex point than in Centre point - maybe my imagination...
    Geoff

buying cameras off the web is problematic

Quote Originally Posted by NCR
    Ah, yes. I thought of returning it at once, but since I bought it from a website here in Sweden, they told me to send it to KM, and they in turn said "a minimum of 15 workdays until they would return it...(
    Hi NCR,

I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I bought my A200 from a local shop because I worried about problems like this when dealing with a web site in order to save some money. The bad news you already know - that when dealing with web sites on certain kinds of items (like cameras), you are taking a risk. I would send your camera in as soon as possible in order to capitalise on the "but it's brand new" argument.

I realize most Swedes take the summer off (my wife is from Uppsala and reminds me all the time) but surely in the new global business environment, people like KM would have to overcome that somehow? Or maybe not, as long as it's internal to the country. What do you think?
    Last edited by Rob vdKam; 08-23-2005 at 12:00 PM. Reason: mistaken Ps comments not applicable
    Konica Minolta A200
    Canon A570IS

49-62 step

Quote Originally Posted by jroztocil
    [...]
    I'd also like to pick up a circular polarizer and a standard UV/Haze filter for everyday use (and to protect the lens). From the manual it suggests that 49mm filters will likely cause vignetting at wide angles so they recommend a 49->62 stepup. My old 49mm UV/Haze (from my X-700 days) has some minimal distortion so getting the step-up and a new 62mm seems like the way to go.
    I'm about to get a 49-62 step and try my Nikon 6T close-up lens and will report.

Quote Originally Posted by jroztocil
    Appended was a tough natural light shot with lots of contrast (not to mention the subject is three). The only thing I did to it in post is reduce the image size to 25% to fit the upload guidelines. Constructive comments to an amateur welcome. ;-)
    Your photo is just fantastic! Care to share your EXIF info? Is it a "100% crop" (that is, are we seeing any resampling)?
    Konica Minolta A200
    Canon A570IS

A200: Lenses and EXIF

I'm about to get a 49-62 step and try my Nikon 6T close-up lens and will report.
    An unnamed company tried slip me the Crystal version of the ACT-100 and ACW-100 macro and telephoto lenses for cheap when I purchased my 5600HS. I can assure you that the Crystal lenses don't work with the A200. These are on a 49-52 (not 62) step-up and give you a very nice view of the inside of the lens adaptor (I'll share pics if any one is interested).

Your photo is just fantastic! Care to share your EXIF info? Is it a "100% crop" (that is, are we seeing any resampling)?
    I got really lucky on this pic - I'm not even going to pretend it was skill. This was just a straight no-crop image. Just Photoshop->Image Size->25%. As far as resampling - ummm.... all of this is not my area of expertise. I have to assume that Photoshop is doing something drastic to throw away the other 75%. Maybe perhaps you could educate me so that I can better understand the question (and the answer...)? I would certainly appreciate it.

I've got a few other "lucky" ones and happy to say I'm getting them more and more often. I think it must be that my subjects are improving... ;-)

So, being completely unfamiliar with an appropriate way to post all that EXIF data, I'm attaching PICT1313.txt generated by Exif-O-Matic v1.1.8. Let me know if this acceptable and what you are looking for.

Thanks.
    Jake