Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sounds like exceptionally bad luck to me - the only one I have heard of
    Now after half a year nearly I am very happy wit mine - yep see if you can send it back - or better still take it back to the shop (if it was a shop) and see if they can exchange it - replace it I mean.
    You could say you are not confident your model is a good one and you want an altogether new one. (Ie rogue model)
    Mine seems pretty robust after my initial feelings that it was plasticky - it's actually quite tough as my wife demonstrated by dropping it the other day!!! Not damage or problems at all.
    Good Luck
    Geoff
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Ah, yes. I thought of returning it at once, but since I bought it from a website here in Sweden, they told me to send it to KM, and they in turn said "a minimum of 15 workdays until they would return it, and here in Sweden almost everyone is on vacation right about now, so Iím thinking about waiting until September before I send it in.

I do feel a bit cheated though. I bought this camera (among other things) because I had the impression that KM had superior quality.

Some credit cards do insurance - does that apply - maybe you could claim defective goods? I am so sorry you have been so unlucky!
    Other than that - yep send it to Minolta - BTW make sure they do all the latest updates, firmware etc, while it's there.
    At least you should get an A1 example at the end I guess...
    Geoff

The LCD on my A200 totally died on me while I was on vacation. I mean it showed nothing but a bunch of vertical stripes fading from white in the middle to black on either side.
    Thankfully it was still under warranty, and now I get a new 6 month warranty for my trouble.
    Other than that I'm quite satisfied with it, though I wish they had kept the EVF from the A2.

Not much traffic here on the A200 it seems...?

I'm currently evaluating the A200 (we in Canada can buy almost anything and try it out for two weeks before we are committed to keeping it) after also trying out the Sony H1 and the Canon S1. I keep getting higher priced cameras thinking the little weaknesses will be gone. But one writer put it well...you cannot get the perfect camera.

The A200 is plastic but it is far more robust than the others I tried. Very tough (to my thinking) and a great grip. The zoom lens is certainly a good balance of zooms - you give up the 10/12x zoom for more wide angle and each person has to individually decide on tht evalue of that. The zoom lens does seem weak and I'm not happy with the change in resistance I feel as I turn it at various zooms - not at all nice and "greasy" like my cheap old SLR zooms. But I may be sold on this camera just for the plethora of well engineered little things, like the diopter focus that actually clicks and the LCD hinge that doesn't seem like it will ever break off. This camera feels great to me.

As for photos, I'm still trying to figure out how to evaluate sharpness and focus after only having had a film SLR 10 years ago. I keep wanting to zoom into the image to see how sharp it is, but then it pixelates of course and I feel disappointed. I'll have to print some out to see what that looks like. I've seen posts of people's pics and they seem fabulous but I don't zoom in to those.

Rob

A200 - love it, time for accessories

It's taken a while to really get the knack for this camera (happily purchased 12/2004) but I get some really nice images. The drawbacks are well-documented and minimal.

So now I'm ready for some accessories. I've looked at the ACT-100 and ACW-100. These seem pretty straightforward and it seems recommended to stick to the (more expensive) Konica Minolta lenses. Has anyone gone a different route?

The on-cam flash can stand some improvement so I've looked at the 3600/5600 HS D flashes but I don't really see a lot of discussion comparing these so it's hard to know what to get. It seems that one is just the more expensive big brother. Anyone with experience in this area?

I'd also like to pick up a circular polarizer and a standard UV/Haze filter for everyday use (and to protect the lens). From the manual it suggests that 49mm filters will likely cause vignetting at wide angles so they recommend a 49->62 stepup. My old 49mm UV/Haze (from my X-700 days) has some minimal distortion so getting the step-up and a new 62mm seems like the way to go. Getting a good polarizer would then follow. The recommendation on manufacturer and brand for good glass seem pretty wide and varied. Does anyone have a tried configuration that works on their A200?

Sounds like maybe too many issues for one thread but I'd welcome any advice.

Appended was a tough natural light shot with lots of contrast (not to mention the subject is three). The only thing I did to it in post is reduce the image size to 25% to fit the upload guidelines. Constructive comments to an amateur welcome. ;-)

My tried & tested configuration: -
    Sharpness = hard
    contrast +1
    Saturation +2 (~ less on an extreemly sunny day)
    Usually use Daylight White - manual white would be better - but too much fuss to keep changing it for each situation.
    I try to keep it at 50ASA (ISO) but 100 is pretty good
    I have gone all the way to 800 - but it gets more noisy
    I also tend to use Aperture priority 90% of the time
    prefered apperture at or around f5.6 for the sharpest images.
    I tend to set it at 5 or 8mp depending how long it will be before I can download - and also set to fine as it seems sufficient and saves heaps of space.

Still not 100% understanding the different focus modes - I want it
    to always focus in the centre and I would then always know where it will focus, and I could do the pre-focus bit if I want the edge of a pic as the focal point - but even in spot it seems to beep and show the red rectangle off to one side or the other - anyone got any helpfull suggestions>??

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler
    Still not 100% understanding the different focus modes - I want it
    to always focus in the centre and I would then always know where it will focus, and I could do the pre-focus bit if I want the edge of a pic as the focal point - but even in spot it seems to beep and show the red rectangle off to one side or the other - anyone got any helpfull suggestions>??
    Assuming you are talking about your KM A200:
    Try using the Flex Focus Point. That never seems to move around unless you move it yourself.

I don't think the focus area can change on its own if you are in the Spot AF areas mode. Sure you're not in Wide focus area? (see the "Changing AF-area modes" in you manual (p.46 in the American version).)

Hope this helps.
    Colt
    KM 7D & A200

There - and I've avoided Flex Focus Point because I thought it would nove around!!
    I'll try your suggestions, and check the CD manual - couldn't find enough in the booklet.
    I don't have too much of a problem except just sometimes it focuses where I don't want it to. Focusing in the centre sorts it all out - I'll know exactly what to expect and I am used to that more.
    I have got confused too knowing if it id focus or exposure that is centre spot.
    I am after wide area exposure for general use with centre spot focus.
    The camera doesn't seem to make it clear for my dyslexic interpretation, what IS centre spot.
    Thanks for the quick reply
    Geoff

I've finally settled on the A200! I've just returned from a Baffin Island vacation and my wife and I are both extrememly pleased with it. The 8MP replaces the need for a 10x zoom and the design of the camera is very "camera-like" (as opposed to toy or device-like?) and allows us to learn as we go.

I also found that flex focus point eliminated the jumping focus point/box. Call it a translation error (of which there are a few) but the focus box in this mode is controlled by you, not the camera. In spot focus mode, it is also controlled by you. Only the regular mode jumps around as it hunts for a focus point.

I should add that managing the flex point is easy. While choosing either the flex or spot focus mode with the centre button pressed (and the focus symbol showing in blue), just use the directional controller to choose which box or which spot on the frame you want to use to focus. Press the centre button (or half press the shutter as always), and you're shooting.
    Last edited by Rob vdKam; 08-21-2005 at 02:17 PM.