Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question A 200 What's it like?

Does anyone out there own, or has anyone tried the A200? I am interested to know what it's like compared to some of the competition. It seems to have a lot going for it. Even if it isn't maybe the very best in some areas, it may win some over. I like the idea of a manual zoom, the decent zoom range, good adjustments to contrast, sharpnes etc. Plus it's not as large as some of the others in this class. On the downside - I am not so sure about the 8mpx quality, the noise at higher ASA (like most non dSLR).
    I'd be interested in your comments
    Geoff
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Red face Whoops

Oh dear - sorry about that question - it was only afterwards that I spotted some chat about it.
    I wasn't comparing it with the Oly8080 or the Nik8800 actualy - as I think it is a bit smaller and cheaper - so I was pitting it in my head against the Oly C-7070. I quite fancy the IS & the zoom ring & the extra zoom range from 28mm
    Not sure how good it actually is though.
    Never mind
    Geoff

Got a related question on the big brother, the A-2. Many of the reviews said that the A-2 would be a dream camera if it weren't for the softness problems. Jeff suggested that this actually quality control rather than an inherent flaw in the camera. If this is true, has KM smoothed things out or is there still a good chance of getting a "lemon?"

David678 Guest

Exclamation

A200 is a good camera but the 800X600 movie quality is 30% worse compare to Dimage Z2.

Arrow Not worried about video

Don't really use the video facility, least ways I haven't yet on my Oly UZ. The A200? Feels quite plasticky. Nice zoom range, but that too feels uneven and plasticky. Can't really make my mind up about it. I think I favour the Oly C-7070 but haven't done the direct comparison in a shop yet. The difference between 110mm and 200mm is not as huge as I thought it would be. The oly feels far more substantial. However - I like the IS and the natural quality of the pics.
    Geoff

Cool more A 200

Plastic feel aside.

Has anyone got one, or had one a while with an opinion goood or bad - some say it produces soft images - but that seems to be at the default 'lower contrast & sharpness than most' settings. Can a good sharp result be produced without post processing. It should be possible with all the tweakability on it - unless the lens is not up to it, or something...
    Any comments???

Geoff Chandler

Wasn't it the A2 that produced the soft images, not the A-200?

I think the A-200 has been doomed to not selling so well. I'm actually seeing the A2 sold at cheaper prices in brick and mortar stores ($700) than the supposedly cheaper A200 ($700-$800). Even the though the A2 has the softness flaw (might be fixed by now), there's so much more going for it than the A200 like its stellar EVF.

I got the A200 because I wanted a camera I could carry around nice and easily when I didn't want to haul my Canon 10D and a load of lenses around. I've had it about... a week and a half now, and so far I'm very happy with it.

The anti-shake system really does work well. I took a tele-macro shot at 1/15 sec and it came out nice and sharp. It doesn't work every single time at really slow speeds, but it does most of the time, and gives you a very good chance of getting a sharp shot compared to no chance of getting a sharp shot.

The mechanical zoom for the lens is very nice to have, especially as I'm used to it on SLR lenses. Manual focussing isn't wonderful using the LCD screen or the EVF, but it does get easier the more you use it. I can get sharp shots using manual focus nearly all the time, but it does take much longer to make sure everything is sharp, compared to an SLR viewfinder.

The image quality is very good. The sensor and lens pick up a lot of small details, more than I was expecting from a non-SLR. Noise is no problem at all at ISO 50 and 100, and at 200 you probably wouldn't notice it on smaller prints. I wouldn't go above 200 though personally (although you could probably get good 6x4 inch prints from ISO 400 and 800 images).

Luckily, even though I'm in England (where people will die of shock if they wake up and it isn't overcast outside ) I've found that I usually don't have to go above ISO 50 anyway, thanks to the fast f/2.8 lens and the anti-shake system.

Things that let it down are the speed of the autofocus, which can sometimes be very pedestrian. It also fails to lock on at all every now and then. It's not too bad though, as it has been able to lock onto our black cat, sleeping on a dark blue suitcase. If you don't shoot too many action shots though, it's not too bad. Not great, but it's certainly not so bad that it makes me think I bought a bad camera. For most things, it isn't a problem.

So, I would definitely recommend it as a very good (if a little slow) camera. I don't know about anywhere else, but at the mo it's much cheaper than the A2 in England. I got mine for 429 and the cheapest I could see the A2 for was just over 500. Oh, and I've had no problems with soft images on my A200.
    Last edited by Zutonic; 02-28-2005 at 09:14 AM.

Thumbs up

Well - I ended up getting one. I discussed it with Jim Last and we decided that there won't be such a thing as a perfect camera - so you have to find the one that does the most things you want it to.
    Jessops were great - they gave me a very good discount after I showed them a bargain price from another shop. They were also very helpfull with all the other incidentals so I can recomend them to anyone in England.
    I also phoned the KM tech support as my PC was being difficult with the camera driver - not a camera problem really, but they too were great. So I am quite impressed with KM on the whole and pleased so far (it's only 1 day!!) with the camera - I shall spend some time now deciding what settings I prefer.
    Personally I like the natural appearance the pictures have - almost film like. Not sure about the Vivid setting as it seems a bit in your face - but maybe it would help in dull situations, or maybe kids parties where you need lots of colour...

Geoff

Hello!

I quite new here but, here goes:

Have any of you guys had any problems with dead pixels on the TFT and/or the EVF?

Iv had this KM A200 now for 1 day and already I have two dead ones. It that normal? I called the Minolta Helpdesk for us Swedes and the girl there told me "we have a very simple pixel-policy, if you are unhappy, just send it in to the repair-shop". Nice and customer friendly, BUT 1 day and 2 dead pixels...well.