Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon SD1100IS vs Fuji F50fd

I've narrowed it down to these two for my wife's camera. This is primarily for kids and family photos, indoors and out. She says she has to have:

-Ultracompact
    -Auto red eye removal (in record mode, not just play mode)
    -IS
    -Easy Auto mode, she hates dinking with settings.

-A 3:2 mode would be nice since she likes that setting on her current camera for printing 4x6 snapshots without cropping.

I can't find an F50fd locally to test drive, so I can't see how it compares with the SD1100 for ease of use. From the reviews, it looks like the F50fd might have the edge on indoor photo quality and flash. The Canon seems to be better performing and better in good lighting. Viewfinder won't get used, so that doesn't matter. Canon seems very well reviewed on shopping sites and better selling, but does that mean anything?

Any additional thoughts or something I missed? Which one would you buy?

I've had Canons in the past. Currently have the Fuji F45fd, which is similar to the F50fd. The Canons are hands down the better choice for ease of use. In my view these particular Fuji models really should be regarded as advanced cameras. Just too quirky for a casual novice.

Kelly Cook

If you're not going to use the viewfinder look at the SD790 with a 3" LCD and no optical viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    I've had Canons in the past. Currently have the Fuji F45fd, which is similar to the F50fd. The Canons are hands down the better choice for ease of use. In my view these particular Fuji models really should be regarded as advanced cameras. Just too quirky for a casual novice.

Kelly Cook
    Great to know. My wife wants to turn on the camera and push the shutter button. That is it. If she has to dig through menus, the camera will stay on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    If you're not going to use the viewfinder look at the SD790 with a 3" LCD and no optical viewfinder.
    I've considered it, but I have a hard time justifying the extra money, simply for an unneeded extra .5" of screen.

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post

Kelly Cook
    Seconded. I find the menu systems for the Canon cameras better and much, much simpler to use.

Quote Originally Posted by tkbslc View Post
    I've considered it, but I have a hard time justifying the extra money, simply for an unneeded extra .5" of screen.
    Look at them in person. It's a major difference.

Thanks for the replies. I've decided on the Canon. I'll check out the 790 based on David's comments and get one of the 2.