Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

To digital zoom or not to digital zoom ...

As in my first thread here stated im a very happy camper when it comes to the digital zoom capabilities of my Samsung NV11. Although i was skeptical first as ive learned that digital-zoom is a no-no. But the Samsung NV11 does a very good job if you use the digital-zoom moderately.

What is your experience with the digital-zoom of your Samsung Camera?

Please share your experience along with shots for illustration. Im looking forward to your comments.

Cheers
    Virgil

All digital zoom is doing is cropping the image. You can do that with more control and better quality on the computer, but it requires a bit more time and effort. Since I post process all my photos, it's not a big deal for me. If you don't like to do that then a moderate use of digital zoom is fine. The problem is usually when people overdo digital zoom - image quality degrades pretty quickly.

Digital zoom a no-no methinks...

I totally agree with David's opinion on digital zooming do it on your PC.

In my humble opinion, advertising "digital zoom" on a camera is pure, unadulterated marketing hype, and if I had my way (which I won't LOL) I'd totally ban the inclusion of a digital zooming facility on all cameras.

You'll be much happier with the end result using your PC's more powerful imaging software, rather than the Mickey Mouse firmware in your camera.

Cheers

Thanks for the comments so far - hope others chime in as well.

Cheers
    Virgil

i love digital zooming

Room to zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by Xoote View Post
    i love digital zooming
    Digital zooming is okay (maybe!) if you're absolutely desperate to get a shot that you can't quite frame properly with the naked eye, but bear in mind that all your camera is doing is cropping and resizing the image. This causes interpolation of the pixels (or signals from the sensor's photo-receptors) which in turn causes excessive "noise" in the finished image.

If you need to "zoom", you're much better off doing so with a dedicated graphics program (such as Photoshop) on your PC.

Cheers

DigitalZoom is in the off position on every camera I own that has OFF as an option.
    sw2cam

I hate digital zoom, its an abomination to Photographers society and a spit in the face for all those who use it

really...use your PC to crop
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Giving a general statements as "you're much better off doing so with a dedicated graphics program" or ban it with the rather harsh argument "its an abomination to Photographers society" is something we should be carefull with.

Nowadays we see cameras doing things which have been unthinkable some months or years back. For example - in-camera noise-reduction - Fuji demonstrated with their P&S cameras or - most recently - Nikon in their pro-DSLRs D3 / D300. Same goes for any other in-camera feature usually handled in post-processing.

So we should be open minded and welcome every new feature without banning it in general. At least until we thoroughly tested it against the traditional way and found that it yields worse results in comparison!

Cheers
    Virgil
    Last edited by Virgil; 08-27-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Zooming or...?

Sorry, but you're still missing the point that so-called "digital zooming" isn't in reality zooming. You can only "zoom" an image by physically shifting elements in the camera's lenses there's simply no other way to truly "zoom".

And, "digital zooming" demonstrably degrades your image quality. Whereas the noise reduction you mention as an example of in-camera image improvement in Fuji's cameras actually works, but for several vastly different, and more sophisticated, technical reasons.

Digital zooming is actually a very primitive technology that uses cropping and interpolation to create an apparently larger image.

This site explains it a lot more clearly than I ever could:

CamridgeInColour

Hope this helps to clarify it.